A Conversation for Musicians Guild Membership Page

Calling all guitarists....

Post 21

Farlander

Hey Skanks, instead of just describing where you put your fingers for each of the chords, what about a text diagram? (Unless you can get a Hootoo artist to do chord charts for you) Like...

---|-M-|---|4
---|---smiley - zzz-|3
-R-|---|---|2

For an A minor. I think it would help if beginners could actually *see* what they're supposed to do, instead of trying to follow text instructions, no?

Post 22

Farlander

Cripes! I have absolutely no idea how that smiley got in there. smiley - doh

Post 23

Dr Hell

Good idea! And don't forget to use tags to do the ascii diagram. (not sure whether this is official GML, but it will show the subbies what you mean.

IS smiley - winkeye

Post 24

Rik Bailey

Post 25

Skankyrich [?]

smiley - book Been away....

Post 26

Rik Bailey

bloody micro soft brower mouse!!! I just posted a blank post if that makes any sense.

I was going to suggest Nirvanas Something in the way.

Not only is it just Em amd C (or youcan use power cords your choice) but for real beginners you can play it just using the bottem e string.

Easy....

Now if I could just work out the solos to Sajna, Maine Kabhi and Iltija by Junoon I would be a happy man, hint hint joke.

Adib
Yes I'm a Muslim but I also rock!

Post 27

guesswhochick

Good entry idea! The first song I learned to play on guitar was "Rest Stop" by matchbox twenty. Definately not popular enough to be a party song thing, but it's a really good learning device - on the album, the guitar in the band only plays like one chord per measure, so when you need to start up slowly it's perfect. And then it's a nice and simple piece to work out a solo rhythm too. I actually used it to try out all different kinds of rhythms, sort of my guinea pigs of songs, hehe...The verse is Em, G, D, Em, Em, G, D, Em, D, Em, C. Chorus: G, D, Em, D, C, G, D, Em, D, A, C. And the solo chords are: C, D, C, D.

I'll try and come up with more soon!! Yay for the guitar love smiley - smiley
Amanda

Post 28

yamshark

House of the Rising Sun (the animals) - that old chestnut:

Intro: Am, C, D, F, Am, E, Am, E. Words begin.

Verses: Am, C, D, F, Am, C, E.
Am, C, D, F, Am, E,
As intro and repeat

Summat like that

I know a muslim rocker/guitarist. He's from Iran and loves Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Dream Theatre et al. Remember saying to him (as a joke of course) won't Allah mind? Nah, he said as he sniffed another line of coke!! (True story - no offence is intended).

Speaking of which any other Dream Theatre fans out there?

Post 29

yamshark

Guitar love!?!?! I LIKE the sound of that smiley - laugh

Post 30

guesswhochick

smiley - biggrin If we ever decide to hold a Woodstock-y fest we know what to call it now! hehe

I soooo remember the first time I played House of the Rising Sun - I felt terribly silly playing something so predictable, until my Dad said how good it sounded *happy beam*. It's something you absolutely MUST learn. Part of the new guitarist contract - people will come in the night and snip your strings if you don't I think.

We need a guitarist smiley! Or at least a rock symbom smiley...hmm...guess this'll do for now smiley - whistle

Post 31

Danny B

'One' by U2 goes as follows:

Verse:

Repeat - Am/D/F/G

Chorus:

Repeat - C/Am/F/C

The bridge section ("Love is a temple...") repeats C/Am, then drops to G and then F before returning to the Chorus.

Post 32

yamshark

I remember being made to play the Shadows "Apache" - just the lead bit and no backing) - in front of my mumundad. EM-BARRA-SING. I nearly stopped playin' after that. Well, in front of them anyway. smiley - laugh

Post 33

Rik Bailey

When I was in a band we used to cover 'drugs are good' by NOFX as it sounds great but is really easy to play.

I think its something like this

using only the six string and palm muted (loads of distortion) you play

E) --0-3-4-5----0-3-4-5----0-3-4-5----0-3-4-5-----0-3-0--

then you release palm muting and fly into

D|-222---222--------222--------------
A|-000-2-333--22--2-333-5-333--22--2-
E|------------00h30-----3-111--00h30-

Repeat I think four times, then Iit goes into a palm muted bridge

A|-333333333333333
E|-555555555555555

Then straight into the verse which unfortuantly I can't quite remember with any degree of accuracy as I have not played guitar in years, I'm more into building them these days. Still try to play junoon though sigh.

Adib

Post 34

Rik Bailey

Oh did I mention that you need to guitarists to get it 100% right.

Heres a link to it if you want to hear it.

http://www.emp3world.com/mp3/34327/NoFx/%20Drugs%20Are%20Good

Man I forgot how good NOFX are, excuse me I'm just going to rush off and meet me friend craig and bang out a few punk songs on the old six string.......

Adib

Post 35

Skankyrich [?]

I'll work in a way to play the F chord, and those suggestions. However, Adib, I'm trying to avoid the whole playing of riffs and just providing some chords to impress friends and family with. There's loads of tab elsewhere for NOFX fans smiley - smiley

Will put in your suggestions and credit you as soon as I can....

smiley - cheers

Post 36

yamshark

Adib, How did it go with yer mate? Do tell smiley - biggrin

Post 37

Danny B

How about the F chord as:

E x
A x
D 3
G 2
B 1
E 1

That only requires barring two strings, rather than all six.

Post 38

Skankyrich [?]

Good idea, Danny - not strictly open, but I think it's used often enough to be thoroughly needed smiley - ok

Post 39

Rik Bailey

It was not to bad, did a little NOFX, Nirvana, ATDI and a few of our old songs. I'm a bit rusty though at the moment.

Adib

Post 40

AlexAshman

I don't know much about guitars, but at secondary school even the piano novices could manage 'Stand by me' on the keyboards:

Melodysmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spaceChord
--------smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - space-------
GBC,Csmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spaceC
CBA,Asmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spaceAm
G,A,Asmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spaceAm
AGF,Fsmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spaceF
FAG,Gsmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spaceG

Alex smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post