This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

Subbing Dolmabahce Palace

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hi Gnomon smiley - hug

Me again, subbing your Entry here: A87873484 <--- don't forget to subscribesmiley - towel

>>The Topkapi<< I can find 4 mentions of this and on three of them have an entity letter at the end, like a small case "I" without the dot over it, but the other one has Topkapi, would you like me to change that to match the others, or is it different for a reason?

Carries on reading throughsmiley - run

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 2

Abdülmecid, I thought I recognised his name. He was the Sultan who sent £1000 aid to Ireland during the great famine, even though they were non-Muslims.

Excuse me, smiley - racket1 is onsmiley - runsmiley - tennisball

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Topkapi should always be spelt with that i without a dot. Thanks.

Post 4

That's fixed nowsmiley - biro

If you don't mind, I have added a footnote to "trompe l'oeil" as I didn't recognise the name, but when I looked it up, I have seen this before, and it's very impressive how it can trick your brain.

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi GB. It looks good.smiley - ok

There are two sentences that don't sound right.

"In 1843, Abdülmecid (reigned 1839-1861), the 31st Sultan, commissioned a new palace in a low-lying area on the shore of the Bosphorus."

I think the "reigned 1839-1861" would be better after "the 31st Sultan", so it should read:

"In 1843, Abdülmecid, the 31st Sultan (reigned 1839-1861), commissioned a new palace in a low-lying area on the shore of the Bosphorus."

"is plainly called the 'Administrative Part'"

I meant that it is a very plain name for a very ornate building. But "plainly" could be interpreted to mean "obviously". Perhaps you could reword us as:

"is simply called the 'Administrative Part'"

Thanks.

Post 6

All fixedsmiley - biro and returned to the Eds for final polishsmiley - disco

smiley - cheers

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - ok

Post 7

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - magic

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks! smiley - smileysmiley - redwine

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Gnomon - time to move on

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more