A Conversation for Delete this entry

Removed

Post 1

U135579

This post has been removed.

A422056 : Rock Music

Post 2

a girl called Ben

Its a great entry - http://www.h2g2.com/A422056 - if you asked me could someone cover 40 years of rock music in such a short space and still be informative I'd have said "no". But you've done just that.

Removed

Post 3

U135579

Post 4

a girl called Ben

Just call me "Granny"
smiley - smiley

Removed

Post 5

U135579

Post 6

a girl called Ben

Not saying!

Old enough to remember Punk Rock and the Eagles on vinyl. Old enough to remember Led Zep and Pink Floyd, but only started listening to them on CD. Old enough to hate House, and old enough not to know what it is I hate these days.

Not actually old enough to be your Granny though!

smiley - smiley

Removed

Post 7

U135579

Post 8

a girl called Ben

I'll ignore the carbon dating.

Fave band? I'd like to see Pink Floyd live. I saw Runrig in the community hall in the Isle of Skye, (licenced for 500, I had ticket 758), and they were great, and it was really sweaty, like gigs should be. I saw Tina Turner this summer just to say I had, ditto the Stones last year.

At the moment I like Californication (don't know the band) and kinda like Driving with the King, (BB and Eric); I miss Freddy Mercury; and really miss Ian Dury. I love Annie Lennox's voice. I'm thinking of buying some Persuaders. Hate Nirvana. Like Guns n Roses. Enjoy Bon Jovi but don't admit it. Ditto, Billy Joel. Loved Parklife and Wonderful Neighbourhood, but cannot remember the bands. Heard a band called "Better than Ezra" on tape the other day, and want to buy a CD.

I like more music than I know. Like Tom Waites, but am usually not depressed enough to listen to him. Like The Doors, but dont listen to them much either. I like a lot of Madonna's songs, but I don't really like her.

I don't have any way to play music just now, so I am getting most of my music of VH1. (You are allowed to wince, so long as you do it quietly).

Biggest rock regret - too young and too ignorant to have seen Lynyrd Skynrd at Kneborth.

Biggest rock coup - saw David Gilmour live in an audience of about 1000 people.

Closest I came to a star - Jim Corr apologised to me for touching my hand!

Removed

Post 9

U135579

Post 10

Cloviscat

You've tackled a really complex subject but managed to keep very well focussed. If you wanted this to go forward to the Edited Guide you would have to consider losing personal comments, (such as about Indie bands!) but you may feel it stands better as an expression of what you feel is good and bad in rock You might also want to explain a few technical terms like Drop D tuning. Have you looked to see if there are any related ientries (eg on bands that you mention) so that you could add links?

By the way. You'd say I was a dinosaur too smiley - sadface

Removed

Post 11

U135579

Post 12

Mo Power (Itching Cucumber, Lord of Nonsense elect)

By the way, you should spell Motörhead like this: Motörhead

Removed

Post 13

U135579

Removed

Post 14

U135579

A422056 : Rock Music UPDATES

Post 15

NexusSeven

I quite liked your entry; concise entries are so much kinder to us poor scouts... smiley - winkeye

You could perhaps mention what Rock has 'symbolised' throughout its 40-year lifespan. This may sound a little bit 'muso' and masturbatory, but I reckon that Rock has always been the music of rebellion (certain un-named 80s poodle-rockers aside) and hey, those crayzee kids just dig it in ways that the olds never could. smiley - winkeye

BTW I am a diehard Cult fan; well, IMHO, they *were* the biggest and best British rock band of the mid- to late-80s and early 90s, pre-grunge. What's your take on this controversial view? smiley - smiley

Removed

Post 16

U135579

Post 17

sundiver (the scout)

A few suggestions from your friendly neighbourhood scout...

I think the "Rock and Roll" genre should be divided into more parts --- there was the early rock and roll (1954/55 - 1964) which had famous proponents like Chuck Berry (“Johnny B Goode”), Little Richard (“Good Golly Miss Molly”), Sam Cooke (“You Send Me”), Buddy Holly (“Peggy Sue”), Jerry Lee Lewis (“Great Balls of Fire”), and Carl Perkins (“Blue Suede Shoes”). Elvis again, is part of this genre, I think. How about a seperate section on Motown - Diana Ross and the Supremes and Smokey Robinson? I personally believe that you could also create a seperate section on the invasion of British Rock which would include the Beatles (the very greatest band in the world.. ever) and the Rolling Stones

If you do decide to write about rock and anti-establishment thought, how about a line or two on the 60's, woodstock, and the Vietnam war?

I hope this isn't asking you to do too much - I think this could be a really comprehensive article smiley - smiley

Cheers,

Removed

Post 18

U135579

Post 19

sundiver (the scout)

PS: I also think it would be fund to talk about how rock music is believed by some to be satanic - the whole issue of backmasking on the Stairway to Heaven track and the about how Hotel California is really about the Church of Satan which happened to be located in a converted hotel in California.

Oh! you could have so much fun talikg about rock music and controversy!

Removed

Post 20

U135579

Key: Complain about this post