This is the Message Centre for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I probably shouldn't have done that, should I

Post 1

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

By 'that', I mean spread butter on the skin of the chicken I just put into the oven to roast, and then lick the butter off my fingers.

But a little salmonella never hurt anyone, right? And it is a free-range chicken. So I'm probably fine. And the cold germs will probably see off the salmonella.

Post 2

Milla, h2g2 Operations

You'll be fine.
smiley - towel

Post 3

Baron Grim

Unless you're not...

Post 4

So far so goo...

Post 5

Just kidding smiley - tongueout

Post 6

Baron Grim

Yesterday evening, I was told my dog got sick earlier...

After eating a piece of steak that may have gone bad...

"What steak?"

"Some of that skirt steak."

"This skirt steak? That I'm eating right now?"

"Yeah... a couple of the steaks were from an old batch in the freezer. You might want to taste it before you eat it."

"..." smiley - erm*

It didn't taste bad... Until I got 3/4ths through it. I think it was just freezer burn, but the rest went in the trash (much to Nessie's dismay). I didn't get sick so that wasn't it. Dogs just vomit every once in a while. No reason needed.

smiley - laugh

*(contextually, that's the most appropriate smiley. smiley - nahnah)

Post 7

Cats are pretty good at puking too. Aren't you, Dewey smiley - cross

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

Pippin The Wonder Cat is an expert at catching big mice/small rats, partially chewing them then swallowing them nearly whole.

Then puking the lot up right at the bottom of the stairs, ready for me when I come down at 5am...

Post 9

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

pah... you shouldn't get no infection or naught from that... barely anything, even if there was anything... heck, I did worse than that when I had no immune system and didn't hurl smiley - laughsmiley - blush Mind... I did end up with blood poisening four ... or three... can't recall times so maybe that was food related smiley - laugh but... no damn doctor was gona make me burn meat to satisfy their hygine obsession smiley - laugh

Post 10

Baron Grim

No alarm clock will ever get you out of bed as fast as the sound of a pet vomiting.

Post 11

h2g2 topic drift smiley - bigeyes The place just wouldn't be the same without it smiley - biggrin

Post 12

Mind you, on a more serious note, I did have a friend back home who suspected he was HIV positive but kept putting off going to the doctor until he was laid almost as low as you can go (death) by a dose of what was probably salmonella from his two pet terrapins, and ended up in hospital for some time. He subsequently got on a course of drugs and started looking after himself better, to such an extent that he was as fit as me when I was spending my working days lifting boxes and lumps of furniture and carrying them up and down stairs.

His terrapins' names? Sam and Ella. I kid you not.

Post 13

Milla, h2g2 Operations

The irony there is simply stunning.
smiley - towel

Post 14

Baron Grim

Irony or self-fulfilling prophecy?

Post 15

Sho - employed again!

isn't that what philosophers call nominative determinism?

Post 16

You're the philosophy student, you tell us smiley - tongueout

Post 17

Sho - employed again!

I've finished with philosophy - thank goodness, says everyone - but yes, it is nominative determinism (like: your surname is Carpenter so you work as a carpenter...)

Post 18

Baron Grim

Myeah... I knew after I posted that that "self-fulfilling prophesy" wasn't quite the right description. Basically I was thinking that he named his terrapins Sam and Ella because of the well known tendency of turtles to harbor salmonella bacteria. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048151.htm

I'm not sure there is a specific term for this (possibly in German, like schadenfreude). Maybe a better term would have been self-fulfilling irony. It's like naming your knife "Stabby" and then accidentally slicing yourself open with it.

Key: Complain about this post