This is the Message Centre for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Lettuce o' coincidence

Post 1

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Around this time yesterday I mentioned that it's taken me my whole life to find out that Brown Windsor soup doesn't actually exist F50359?thread=8308990&post=110904425#p110904425

Last night I watched series 1 episode 2 of Rumpole of the Bailey. Rumpole heads out of London on the train to defend a woman convicted of supplying drugs. On the way down to the west country he looks forward to a delicious railway lunch: "A touch of Brown Windsor soup, rapidly followed by poached turbot, cabinet pudding, mousetrap, cream crackers and [couldn't make that word out], washed down with a vintage bottle of Château Great Western."

And this morning I happened to be looking through the half-dozen Twitter avatars indicating who had favourited and re-posted a post from someone I follow. The only one I decided to look at was this one http://twitter.com/brownwindsor , and you have to remember that when you mouse over someone's avatar the username they registered their account as doesn't come up - you see their display name, so I had no idea I was looking at that one smiley - bigeyes

Of course, it all could be a conspiracy by the Brown Windsor Soup Marketing Board smiley - yikes

Lettuce o' coincidence

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

smiley - chef says it's an Army thing. Certainly I've had somthing called Brown Windsor Soup - but I couldn't say what it was made of

Lettuce o' coincidence

Post 3

Hmmm. Unless I've misinterpreted it, Wikipedia says it's a comedy creation designed to represent everything bland and boring about British cooking (that used to be, thanks to Mrs Beeton).

Lettuce o' coincidence

Post 4

Either way, that's a heck of a coincidence smiley - biggrin

Lettuce o' coincidence

Post 5

logicus tracticus philosophicus

aha gosho..that tweeter is a matthew freedman from brighton with a handle ike that you would have expected him to come from west africa and living in windsor.

Brown windsor is a soup, tha'ts perhaps has fallen out of favour, basicy its a beef soup, think it was a Victorian specialty, hence its now to expensive to make.
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 lb stewing beef
1/4 lb lamb steak (or mutton if available)
4 cups good beef stock
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons flour
1 bouquet garni
salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup cooked rice (optional)
1/4 cup madeira wine (optional)

Lettuce o' coincidence

Post 6

That sounds pretty tasty smiley - drool

And it also sounds rather like beef stew.

Lettuce o' coincidence

Post 7

Sho - employed again!

it's strained and when served is like a thin oxtail soup.

Lettuce o' coincidence

Post 8

KB

I thought Basil Fawlty invented it. smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more