This is the Message Centre for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

This land is my land, from California to the New York island

Post 41

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

One of the things that's long interested me about American politics is that individual candidates can often be more important than party to some voters. In both the UK and the US there will always be a certain number of voters who are undecided, who can go either way and will vote depending on the policies and manifesto of the party.

In the US though, I've been surprised at how voters will sometimes be more inclined to vote the person, regardless of party affiliation. The idea that you can say you're, for instance, a lifelong Democrat, but vote for the other party's candidate, and still announce that you're a Democrat (or vice versa) is not something I can do, or understand. I heard an example of it on NPR only a few days ago.

Some will also change parties on the strength of a single issue, in higher numbers it seems to me, than in the UK. Abortion is often that issue. Although I might feel strongly about something and disagree with the party I support's views on it, I couldn't vote for the other party if it meant going against everything else I believe in and making things worse (in my political opinion) for society.

Post 42

Baron Grim

I've always considered myself an independent voter. On the political spectra, I tend to be a progressive, civil libertarian (not to be confused with those more commonly known "libertarians" that the Ayn Rand worshiping Koch Brothers have convinced are part of some grass roots uprising, but who are actually just supporting big business' goal of eliminating taxes and regulations).

I do prefer to vote for individuals rather than party, based on more than a single issue.

However, the modern republican party has become so extreme in their ideology that even the moderates are well to the right of those in the Reagan era. I had respect for John McCain until he ran for president and had to prove to "the base" that he was one of "them". He was one of only two candidates out of about a dozen at a televised primary debate that dared to admit that he believed evolutionary theory and that the world is older than 10,000 years old. He was also the only one on that stage, if memory serves, that stated outright that torture is wrong. But these are not opinions he voices openly any longer.

The modern republican party is absolutely frightening. They have no tolerance for compromise, moderation and reason. Until that changes, I won't vote for any of them unless they convince me, individually, otherwise.

Post 43

From what I've gathered in news reports recently, they might be coming around to the realisation that your last paragraph is something they need to address if they're going to avoid alienating so many supporters as they did in 2012 by pandering to the Tea Party, or at least allowing the Tea Party as much free rein as they had. Several Republicans, including John Boehner, are sounding much more moderate, and almost conciliatory, than they were two years ago.

That worries me for this election, and for the next general election.

Post 44

Say, when are you coming back to this end of your land?

Post 45

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

*Also wonders*

Post 46

When one of two things happen:

1. I get a job, work for a couple of years, get a two-week holiday entitlement and save some money.
2. I win the lottery smiley - bigeyes

A third alternative would be to rob a bank, but that one's probably not on the cards smiley - whistle

Post 47

Civic duty done. That's the first time in almost two decades I've been able to do it smiley - bigeyes

Post 48

Some help of sorts:

http://youtu.be/l_F9jxsfGCw

Post 49

Does this all mean my knighthood will be once again overlooked in the New Year's honours list?

And note that I still spell it with a 'u', Your Majesty smiley - whistle

Post 50

Sho - employed again!

you could still be a KBE

Post 51

Does it come with a stipend and/or a flat with a peppercorn rent?

Post 52

Sho - employed again!

er... nope!

Post 53

Ah, I might have messed up here.

My mind, which isn't known for its lightning fast speed, has just made the connection with the story from a month or two back about Bungle (Boris Johnson) having to pay American taxes, even though he lives and works in the UK http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-30932891

Presumably, that means that if I, as a US citizen, should go back to the UK for any length of time, such that I have to get a job, I'll have to pay both UK *and* US taxes on my income.

Won't I?

Bum.

Post 54

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Many years a go I read a short story, I don't remember the name, but I think it was written by Nicholas Monsarrat. In the story the narrator tells us about meeting a famous British film star, known for playing very patriotic characters, on a cruise ship. The ship is travailing between European ports via the English Channel. As they chat he asks him why his is not sailing from an English port?

The actor replies that he has not dared set foot ashore in Britain, as he would be charged a huge sum in back-taxes. The narrator is a bit miffed that his hero is avoiding paying his fair share.

Spoiler alert smiley - shrug at least it would be if I remembered the title.

The ship develops mechanical problems, and is forced to enter an English dry-dock!

We are left with speculations about how long it will take for the tax collectors to arrive.

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 55

Witty Moniker

It's not as bad as it may seem. There are some options available for filing taxes in two countries due to agreements between them. You can take a credit for taxes paid to another jurisdiction. smiley - geek

Post 56

Bald Bloke

The shipping one is at least partly true.
A mate of mine who was in the Merchant Navy was telling of the rows between the Captain and HQ over routing.
They had been out of British waters for almost a year and the adminisphere couldn't understand why the captain wanted to go via Spain and Ireland on the way back.

The rules used to be if you were "at sea" for the whole year, you didn't pay any income tax at all.

Post 57

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I have heard stories about the US Merchant Marine during the Second World War.
It seems the men were paid by the day, if their ship was sunk the pay stopped.
By a special clause in their union contract they were each awarded an extra day's pay for crossing the International Date Line from east to west, which was subtracted when they crossed again on its return.
However, if the ship was sunk on the far side of the line, they got to keep the extra day's pay - provided they survived, otherwise it went to the next of kin.

How lucky can you get!smiley - biggrin

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 58

Wow, how awesome is that? Like getting paid and all.

Post 59

I suppose it had to happen now that I've voted and I'm on the radar. I got my first piece of political mail today, despite there being no elections (that I'm aware of) in the near future.

It's addressed to The Gosho Family or Current Resident smiley - facepalm

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more