This is the Message Centre for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Thought for the... well, until another one comes along

Post 121

Bald Bloke

Fry bacon. Cut bread. wipe bread round pan. Make bacon sandwich.

smiley - smiley

OK I only get one sandwich out of it but...

Post 122

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I see what you're getting at there and it's a fine idea.

Post 123

There are certain aides de memoir that we've all been taught, have used, maybe still use. It might be a mnemonic or it might be something more associative, like stalaGmites come up from the Ground, stalaCtites come down from the Ceiling; it's neCeSSary to have two Shoes but only one Coat.

One that I remember is to do with the tropics - you get corns on your feet and cancer in your lungs. Therefore, the Tropic of Capricorn is the one in the south and Cancer is the one in the northern hemisphere.

Now apart from being a sign of the times (ie the 60s) when it had recently become widely known that smoking caused lung cancer and there were posters around town depicting a pair of nicotine-stained fingers being cleaned with a stiff brush, along with the caption "You can't scrub your lungs clean", I wonder if this following scenario would be a sign of today's times:

Teacher imparts the above corns/cancer info to the class. Kid goes homes and mentions it to parents. One of said parents knows someone (who knows someone) who died of cancer - any cancer, or has merely heard of cancer, or works for a cancer charity, or is a medic of some kind. Parent takes this to social media. Outrage is fomented, victim status established, lack of sensitivity noted, offence duly taken. Demands are made that the school does something about. The BBC picks it up and runs with under the headline 'Parent anger over cancer teacher'. School apologises. Teacher suspended.

Post 124

You can call me TC

Teachers are always inadvertently putting their feet in it, aren't they? I wouldn't like to be in their shoes in this day and age.

Provided there is room, allowing for the corns.

We were never given any mnemonics as far as I can remember. I used to remember Cancer and Capricorn because I had a friend who was one and a sister who was the other and the friend was older (and in those days, therefore, taller than my sister). Works to this day. I also remember my bank card pin number because I thought it was a date on which one of my kids was little. (Yes - that vague) A few years later I realised I was a decade out.

I find it's easier just to remember the number than to use a mnemonic.

The Germans have a very strange way of creating them. There is one that starts "Im Osten geht die Sonne auf..." - illustrating the points of the compass where the sun is at sunrise, midday and sunset. They just don't get it when I say "but it would still rhyme if you said "Im Westen geht die Sonne auf". The word you want to remember should surely be at the end of the line, so you have a reference point to remember the important information by.

I devised this one but it hasn't caught on yet:

"Kräht der Hahn auf seinem Pfosten, geht die Sonne auf im Osten"
When the cock crows on his post, the sun will rise in the East. The cock crowing at dawn is a universal enough concept. (Equivalent to the old Services saying - "If the sun rises in the East, it's boiled beef for dinner")

Post 125

You can call me TC

Sorry if I didn't make this quite clear: The friend and the sister analogy is based on star signs, something I was not likely to forget, being an impressionable teenage girl.

Post 126

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I have small alcohol stove that we use for camping. It was made in Germany. People are a bit perplexed when I tell them that it is almost time to boil the coffee water, but first I have to turn the stove 'auf'.smiley - winkeye

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 127

KB

The more memorable one I heard about stalagmites/-tites is that "when the mites go up, the tights come down!" smiley - laugh

Post 128

Oh my goodness smiley - blush

Post 129

I'm too drunk to get my boots off.

And I had to post that with one eye closed because there are 26 letters in aplaphet, not 52... right?

Post 130

It's okay to kip with your boots on in Texas, right? It might actually be a state law I think.

Either way, I'm doing it.

Post 131

Nope, they're off. I would have, though. And considered it a privilege.

Night all.

Post 132

ITIWBS

I try to keep a small throw rug handy for the foot of the bed or the end of the couch for occasions I don't quite feel up to taking my boots off.

Saves wear and tear on the upho!stery and bedding.

Post 133

"Witch mystery of gong hope oak"

smiley - huh

I was going to put that one in the 'Marvel and DC' conversation, but it doesn't involve any made-up superheroes. It is however, another impenetrable BBC headline. And this is the story http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-29846373

No mentions of gongs, or hope. As far as I can tell.

Post 134

Pancakes are one of the simplest (and, not to beat about the bush, most bland) things the kitchen has to offer. Milk, flour and eggs. A plain batter. Fried. So why did having them cause so much excitement when we were kids?

And why is that still the case? smiley - blush

Post 135

Witty Moniker

In my household, it's all about the toppings. Maple syrup, strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, etc. Pancakes are a superb vehicle for that.

Post 136

Butter and syrup ... lots of Maple Syrupsmiley - drool

and smiley - flyingpig bacon!

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 137

smiley - simpost

Post 138

You can call me TC

They've changed the headline now.
smiley - popcorn

Most simple foods are comfort food like that. Give me mashed potatoes or a bowl of semolina any day!

Post 139

Speaking of comfort food, I'm going to make boxty today. I've never made boxty before but I happened upon a recipe for it just now, and I seem to have exactly the right amount of leftover mashed spuds in the fridge, as well as all the other ingredients except for buttermilk. I'll just add a spoonful of yoghurt to the milk instead http://bunscuffle.co.uk/2012/02/boxty/

Post 140

ITIWBS

Pancakes at their simplest, just plain water and flour.

Next simplest, beer and flour.

Boxty, my grandma used to substitute minced onion for some of the grated potato.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more