This is the Message Centre for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Closing the book

Post 161

Baron Grim

I don't know. While his daughter is the public face of the family, he was the charismatic glue that bound it together. I think without its center it may fall apart.

I can hope so anyway.

Closing the book

Post 162

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Fingers crossed.

Closing the book

Post 163

KB

In guessing they will. One thing odd little sects like that like to do is form more splits than anarchist groups do. Often the death of a centrepiece like Fred is what sends them all scattering.

Closing the book

Post 164

Witty Moniker

It was my understanding that the church officials excommunicated Fred last year. If that is true, I don't expect their operation to change much due to his death.

Closing the book

Post 165

That's right, they did. In that case they'll probably picket his funeral too smiley - laugh

Closing the book

Post 166

Witty Moniker

It was just mentioned on the local news here that his daughter announced that there will be no funeral service. Cowards.

Closing the book

Post 167

Baron Grim

Regardless, I'm sure there is quite the raucous party going on here: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/03/21/man-turns-house-across-the-street-from-westboro-baptist-church-into-gay-pride-flag/

Closing the book

Post 168

KB

The talk of excommunication seems to all be very recent - within the past week. If that's the case, the fragmentation could be well underway already. Although I must admit, it's hardly the Vatican or the Kremlin. I'm not really interested enough to spend much time researching their inner politics. smiley - laugh

Closing the book

Post 169

Bald Bloke

Why do I get cynical about everything to do with that bunch of *******

Since they are almost all lawyers, why do I suspect that Excommunicating the old man was a means of avoiding the "churches" assets being tangled up with his estate?

Closing the book

Post 170

Baron Grim

DING DING DING!

I'm sure you are correct. That makes too much sense. I hadn't heard anything about this supposed "excommunication", but it would be like the catholic church excommunicating the pope. He was the church. There was no schism. If a family member starting questioning anything they were kicked out and never spoken to again. His son is an outspoken atheist now and he's never indicated that there was anything but complete submission to Fred Phelps' ideology. The members question nothing, nothing, or they're ex-members. Seeing interviews with the children is disturbing to say the least.

Closing the book

Post 171

Y'know, despite the notion that we'd all rather the world ignore them and they go away, Phelps' death has generated more conversation than any person in this or the previous thread.

At this point I really wish we had a chin-stroking 'hmm' smiley that I could insert right about...

Closing the book

Post 172

Baron Grim

Well... personally, I usually don't know half the folks you eulogize in this thread from Adam.

Phelps on the other hand enfuriates people across many lands. It's one thing to be a fundamentalist with an exceptionally hateful mission. It's another thing to make a name for yourself by targeting funerals, antagonizing and insulting people in mourning, and publicizing this abhorrent behaviour to the fullest extent, and all that in the purpose of filing countersuits against the grieving families or local municipalities.

Fsmiley - bleep that smiley - bleep!

In the words of Clarence Darrow: "I've never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."

Here's to Fred Phelps. smiley - cheers
That csmiley - bleep is dead.

Closing the book

Post 173

Baron Grim

I want that last bit to be the QotD.

Closing the book

Post 174

"Fred Phelps, a colossal jerk, died Thursday."
http://time.com/32564/fred-phelps-westboro-baptist-obituary/

smiley - roflsmiley - ok

Closing the book

Post 175

Kate O'Mara
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26809417

Something of a lust object for the teenage Gosho smiley - drool

I suppose she'll be remembered mostly for Dynasty (smiley - yuk) and a certain kind of British TV programme (Persuaders, Champions, The Saint, Danger Man, Jason King), but she did more than that, including Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies and Doctor Who as well as some serious roles, so good on her smiley - biggrin

Closing the book

Post 176

Baron Grim

I remember in Ab Fab as Patsy's sister, Jackie.

Closing the book

Post 177

I don't recall that, but I can definitely see it working smiley - bigeyes

Closing the book

Post 178

Baron Grim

Here's the first of three parts of one of the episodes she's in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VLcmRLIDAg

But if you want to just see her, she shows up in the second part.

Closing the book

Post 179

Baron Grim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VLcmRLIDAg

Closing the book

Post 180

Bob Larbey
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26899040

The Good Life (which the IMDb *still* insists on calling Good Neighbors smiley - cross) was one of my favourite sitcoms of the time, the other being The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, and just like the creator of Reginald Perrin, David Nobbs, Bob Larbey spent some time writing for at least one of David Frost's shows.

I so wanted to try the self-sufficiency thing, which was all the rage at the time with plenty of books and a TV series or two to get wrapped in, and which was then revived in a small way with Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall's first two or three River Cottage series, but it just never happened. It's a little late for me now, but if I should ever buy the winning lottery ticket, a small house with a few acres where I could grow some fruit and veg, keep a chicken or two, maybe even a couple of pigs, would be on the shopping list smiley - bigeyes

Let's not forget Bob Larbey's other work though. Ever Decreasing Circles was another one that I followed every episode of. Martin and Tom were so different in some ways and so alike in others. Tom had the vision to do something utterly new and scary - leave his job and start a completely new life - which Martin could never do, being so anal, impractical and a lover of routine, but they both had feelings of pomposity and self-importance.

And then there was Brush Stroke - a strange little sitcom which also pulled me in and which I think I'd like to see again.

We can't forget Please Sir (Derek Guyler's Norman Potter was a classic British sitcom character: "I was a Desert Rat you know, ho yus") and The Fenn Street Gang, but I never cared for some of his work - A Fine Romance and As Time Goes by, both of which must have made him a nice little nestegg judging by how much they get shown on American public television.

He also wrote the screenplays for the first four episodes of The Darling Buds of May, which I didn't realise until now despite having watched the entire series at least four times.

Key: Complain about this post