A Conversation for Oregon (History)

A 404164 (Oregon History)

Post 1

Four

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A404164

I was browsing the guide when I realized there weren't any entries about 'Oregon, the prettiest state in the Cont. U.S.A.', and therefore realized it was up to me to write it. However, there is no use in writing such article, if we don't even know how Oregon came to be! That's why I started the series of Oregon. This first edition covers a brief intro and a lot of history, and I've added some websites where even more in-depth information can be found. As you understand, I plan to write much more about Oregon, so please give me as much feedback as possible. Is this too much information, or not enough? Too hard, or too easy? Interesting, or boring? Let me know!

Four (U146595)

Post 2

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

I think you're headed in the right direction for some good Guide content, but this article still needs some work. I get the impression that it would be more successful as a series of articles, rather than a single one.

The opening part tells about the current state of Oregon, which has little bearing on the history, which is what this article promises. That part would be best told and expanded in a seperate entry, simply titled "Oregon, USA." It does, however, seem like you pulled it directly out of an encyclopedia. Statistics are all well and good, but tell us the story behind them. Oregon is environmentally conscious... why?

The section on the human history of Oregon is sketchy at best, and that is the sort of thing I was expecting to find after reading the title and your introduction to it in this forum. There's plenty of good history there... the first Russian explorers, the Lewis and Clark expedition, the Oregon Trail, James Polk's "54 40 or Fight" presidential campaign about the dispute over the entire Oregon Territory, which included Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia...

Oh, btw, there is an Edited Guide entry on Portland. Just so you know you're the sole Oregonian contributor. smiley - smiley

Post 3

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

I think you're headed in the right direction for some good Guide content, but this article still needs some work. I get the impression that it would be more successful as a series of articles, rather than a single one.

The opening part tells about the current state of Oregon, which has little bearing on the history, which is what this article promises. That part would be best told and expanded in a seperate entry, simply titled "Oregon, USA." It does, however, seem like you pulled it directly out of an encyclopedia. Statistics are all well and good, but tell us the story behind them. Oregon is environmentally conscious... why?

The section on the human history of Oregon is sketchy at best, and that is the sort of thing I was expecting to find after reading the title and your introduction to it in this forum. There's plenty of good history there... the first Russian explorers, the Lewis and Clark expedition, the Oregon Trail, James Polk's "54 40 or Fight" presidential campaign about the dispute over the entire Oregon Territory, which included Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia...

Oh, btw, there is an Edited Guide entry on Portland. Just so you know you're not the sole Oregonian contributor. smiley - smiley

Post 4

Haze: Plan C seems to be working

Geh, I hate being told ot expand an entry, but you've got a whole state here, man.

Also, try using the and tags to sectionalise the entry

Cheers

Haze

Post 5

Cenchrea

Ditto on the GuideML header, subheader commands. It's very organized, perhaps too much so. Try easing from one subject to another rather than saying "Okay, we're going to talk about Oregon's size now..."

A 404164 (Oregon History) (cont.)

Post 6

Four

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate it all. As stated in my message, I do plan to write multiple atricles about Oreogn, I just though it needed a small introduction (which, by the way, did NOT come out of any encyclopedia). I also wondered if this was too long already, but it seems like poeple want more information, so I'll get back to work in a minute (day). I really think GuideML is a little bit over my head though. I do like the idea of being able to add some graphics to that page, since that would liven it up a lot. I really appreciate the idea's of human history people came up with. I'll research some more, and get back to you all!

A 404164 (Oregon History) (cont.)

Post 7

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Don't add any graphics. They can't be included in the Approved Guide. Stick to tags and or tags. It's quite easy, honestly.smiley - smiley

Thread Moved

Post 8

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'Oregon (History)'.

From Peer Review Sin Bin to Flea Market.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more