A Conversation for The Sub-editors' Home Page

Sub editor requested to help out a super model

Post 1

Bluebottle

Hello, just a note to say that there is a University Project on Model Railways that we feel is ready to be sub edited:

A87791700 - Project Page
A87791719 - Introduction
A87791728 - Glossary
A87791737 - Scales and Gauges
A87792105 - Baseboard Locations
A87792114 - Themes
A87791746 - Layout
A87791755 - Scenery
A87798361 - Rolling Stock

This was a Flea Market Rescue that has evolved into a University Project all about Model Railways. Researchers involved:
Original authors:
Skinnylinny - U197750
Researcher U216547

Rescuers & Additional Material By:
Bluebottle - U43530
Florida Sailor - U235886
Tavaron de Quirm - U1314679

<BB<

Post 2

Bluebottle

Any takers, or shall I put these entries into Peer Review?

<BB<

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

I'm tempted by this smiley - bigeyes

How does the sub-editing of a project work, though?

Post 4

Bluebottle

Well, I've never done the sub-editing side myself, you understand, only had it done to me, but what I gather is that:

1.) The Eds move the entries that you are editing (so does not include the back-ups or Project page) over to your control.
2.) You then thoroughly edit the article as normal, asking questions of the author or authors where appropriate etc.
3.) Having then been thoroughly edited to your satisfaction, the articles are then placed in Peer Review.
4.) After being in Peer Review for at least one week, the project is then removed and makes it onto the Front Page.

If you need more information, you can ask GB or Gnomon, they've edited quite a few projects so would be able to say more.smiley - smiley

<BB<

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

Ah, thanks Bluebottle - it was Step 1 that I didn't know anything about, so that makes sense.

I will make enquiries with GB later smiley - ok

smiley - biggrin

Post 6

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

3.) Having then been thoroughly edited to your satisfaction, the articles are then placed in Peer Review.

It's the Project Page which gets submitted to Peer Review. The articles themselves stay "virgin" as they are made edited by the Editors when reviewing is done. What you do is submit the Project Page to PR, then in the first post provide a link to the articles to review, and ask the reviewers to provide the A-number of the article they are commenting upon, to aid you (the sub-ed) and the author.

<BB< always makes his own back-up copies so the sub-ed doesn't need to do this, but previously I have been confused by the duplicate set of links. It would help if <BB< would insert (COPY) or somesuch into his copy titles which aren't touched by the sub-ed, smiley - cheers

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

1.) The Eds move the entries that you are editing (so does not include the back-ups or Project page) over to your control.

smiley - ok Thanks GB

2.) You then thoroughly edit the article as normal, asking questions of the author or authors where appropriate etc.

I shall ask questions in this thread F22133170?thread=8301363 if that's OK, otherwise let me know where is best.

smiley - biggrin I'm enjoying the Entries so far! (I had a bit of interest in model railways in my youth, but it's not something I ever got into myself (space considerations at home being one problem then) so I find it a fascinating subject to read about)

Post 8

Bluebottle

Glad to know you're interested in the subject - with 4 of us living in a small 2-bed flat, I don't have room for a model railway either, but I do play with my dad and father-in-laws. smiley - winkeye

Good conversation to ask questions in - that way you'll get the benefit of all the people in the project (after all, not every article in this project was written by me).

<BB<

Post 9

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks Bluebottle smiley - biggrin

See you in the other thread! smiley - run

Post 10

Bluebottle

The other thing I'll mention is that, on successful completion of this project, Florida Sailor will have qualified for his University badge smiley - smiley.

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post