A Conversation for The Gurus' Home Page

Andriod app

Post 1

The Eldon Wytch

Are there any plans for a H2G2 andriod app?

Thanks

Andriod app

Post 2

Pastey

Yes, there are smiley - smiley

We're going to be sitting down shortly (when I can round the rest of the tech team together in one place) to go through some ideas about adding new features to the site, and one thing that will certainly be discussed is apps.

We've not decided yet what an app will actually *do*, whether it's a trimmed down part of the site as a whole, whether it's a feature that adds on to the current functionality of the site, or whether we go for making the rebuild available as a web-app.

There is currently a prototype Infinite Improbability Drive Android app, that gives you random edited entries and hours of addictive reading, so we might finish that off and launch that.

Did you have any ideas of what you'd like to see it do?

Andriod app

Post 3

Bluebottle

Any Android app should be Paranoid.

<BB<

Andriod app

Post 4

The Eldon Wytch

It would nice if you could access you conversations red and reply, and maybe a cut down search for the guide. I will get the graymatter working on it and post back

Thanks

Android app

Post 5

Vip

I would like it to have the My Conversations tool, the current Front Page and the Infinite Improbability Drive.

Although part of me thinks that having an Entry editor would be a good idea to encourage people to write, I also know that if I was to try to write an Entry I'd use my PC or tablet, not my phone. Phones are just to fiddly to anything but short typing sessions.

smiley - fairy

Android app

Post 6

Pastey

Great ideas, keep them coming! smiley - smiley

Android app

Post 7

The Eldon Wytch

I think you underestimate phone users.

I have used my phone for everything on here from my page onwards. there is no net connection where I live, unless I go for dish net and trust me it costs an arm and both legs.

Of course that could all change with Ruralnet! The plan from the big man in DC........if it ever happenssmiley - groan

Android app

Post 8

Pastey

I don't underestimate phone users, I'd be out of a job if I did smiley - biggrin

One thing we are looking at though that might help your rural idyll is off-line caching. I've been working on a little piece of software which will download the conversations you're taking part in to your phone/device when you do have signal so that they're there when you don't. It'll work by nicely fetching everything in the background when there's even just a little signal. It's still experimental at the moment though.

Android app

Post 9

scattergood

I'd really like to just see the app as being a guide, with a simple search bar and categories section.

This idea is really exciting!!!!

Android app

Post 10

APhilosopher

I am totally in favour of an H2G2 phone app. Indeed, I'd like to contribute to its content, if possible; I am the editor of *Philosophy and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy* (Palgrave Macmillan, 2012) - and I am thinking that perhaps we could do something with the book's glossary . .

PS: The 'start a conversation' link on the page http://h2g2.com/feedback/editorial does not work).

Android app

Post 11

myk

Is this android app anything to do with anyone here at H2G2?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h2g2&hl=en_GB

Android app

Post 12

Pastey

No.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Android app

Post 13

Pastey

In fact, it looks like it's just a skin for Wikipedia, so it's not even pulling the data from h2g2.

Android app

Post 14

myk

That's terrible! smiley - sadface

Android app

Post 15

myk

Hope you guys get the time and resources to put5 together a 'real' Hitchikers app. Just checked - the h2g2 wikipedia skin is still on google play store. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post