A Conversation for Carnuntum - Roman City in Austria

Peer Review: A87881575 - Carnuntum - Roman City in Austria

Post 1

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Entry: Carnuntum - Roman City in Austria - A87881575
Author: Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor - U1314679

I promised this Entry to Dmitri. I really love the archeological park, you can't compare this experience to watching films or looking at pictures - got some good photos by the way.

A87881575 - Carnuntum - Roman City in Austria

Post 2

bobstafford

Hello Tav

This is a very interesting entry, excellent, I do have a few suggestions that might be of help
Carnuntum is situated on the southern shore of the Danube at a crossing point where the road running along the limes – the northern "fortified" border of the Roman Empire - joins a major trading route A separate auxiliary(footnote1) camp for a cavalry unit" of about 500 men was installed some way south of the legion camp.
During this time the city reached its highest peak in cultural achievements and population. Diokletian held a conference in Carnuntum in 308 AD, where the division of the empire into 4 provinces took place, forming the Tetrarchy was regulated from the capital Rome. Diocletian stepped down from the office of Emperor of Rome, to rule over Britain and northern and southern France. Carnuntum became Diocletian's capital.
Remains of the once 100 meter long amphitheatre. diameter might be better as "long" suggests a hippodrome? Or is it an odd shape.
The Heidentor - "The Heathens Gate" is similar to a triumphal arch but it is a quadrifrons, similar to the Arc De Triomphe with 4 legs. It may originally had a statue in its center possibly of Diocletian/Diocletian.

I hope it's clear Tav and I do like the entry was needed, if you need clarification please let me know.

Post 3

Hi bob, thanks a lot smiley - smiley

made the changes... it's silly but I just couldn't think of the word 'cavalry' when I wrote this smiley - laugh

Thanks, that sounds good.

it seems to be slightly oval and not completely round, I put that in

changed it

Post 4

bobstafford

Thats a pleasure Tav I am pleased to have some company on the Roman entries list, and it is a very good entry. Did the settlement have any docks for river traffic traffic, many did.

Any other issues (if there are any) can be sorted by the editorsmiley - ok

I will have another read through and report back. smiley - biggrin

Post 5

Archeologists suspect that there were docks, yes, but they could not be found due to erosion of the river bank.

smiley - cheers

Post 6

bobstafford

PS a cavalry unit was called an "alla"

Post 7

bobstafford

A few small points

Legions had names
Legio XV, Apollinaris
Legio XIIII, Gemina

has under floor heating put in the name hypocaust
The legion camp, The legionary camp (surrounded by a bank and ditch, with a wooden wall gates and watchtowers) very important in hostile territory.

Well done smiley - cheers

Post 8

smiley - smiley thanks a lot for your help

made some more changes

Post 9

Bluebottle

I'll have a more thorough read through later. Incidentally, in English the Emperor who ruled 284-305 is called 'Diocletian'.

<BB<

Post 10

Bluebottle

Have you just changed it?smiley - huhsmiley - ok

<BB<

Post 11

I changed that yesterday evening - if I didn't miss any.

Post 12

bobstafford

Regarding the docks the settlement would have traded with the empire and the natives and the archeological evidence or lack of it should be mentioned for a complete description.
What is your opinionsmiley - smiley

Post 13

bobstafford

You have missed nothing well done.
The Rhine fleet Classis Germanic based at Casta Veteran close to British

They patrolled the river from the North Sea to Lake Constance. This should provide evidence of a large dock facility that has subsequently been lost to the river.

The details are in Roman fleets entry A86206197

Post 14

I added a sentence about the docks in the Archeology part. smiley - ok

Post 15

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Excellent entry, thank yousmiley - ok

smiley - offtopicI have been round Diocletian's Palace in Split, Croatiasmiley - biggrin

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - xmaspud

Post 16

Thank you!
smiley - cool

Post 17

bobstafford

I enjoyed reading the finished entry excellent.

Please look at paragraph 3 in the third line and

check for typos in the line that contains the words "bank and ditch was erected".

Happy Christmas Tav and your family smiley - bubbly

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 19

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

smiley - bubblysmiley - applause Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!smiley - holly

Post 20

bobstafford

An early Christmas present smiley - magic Congratulations smiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - applause

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more