A Conversation for Maritime Pilots

Peer Review: A87879037 - Maritime Pilots

Post 1

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Entry: Maritime Pilots - A87879037
Author: Florida Sailor -The Silly Season - POTUS - U235886

I thought some of you might find this of interest, I wish that a few more of the examples were not US based, but I would rather not add much more to the the length of the Entry.

smiley - cheers
F smiley - dolphin S

A87879037 - Maritime Pilots

Post 2

minorvogonpoet

This is interesting and informative. smiley - smiley

There are one or two points about which I was unclear.

The sentence after 'Inland'. I think this would be clearer as 'even if the waterway has direct access to the open ocean.'

In the section about the Blackthorn, could you say she was a Coast Guard vessel at the beginning?

In the section about the Summit Venture, you don't say if there was a pilot on board. If not, would he have been able to make a difference?

There are a couple of sentences which would do with splitting

smiley - biro In the sentence 'Both had standing orders' I would split after 'apart'

smiley - biro In the sentence 'One of the most amazing stories' I would split after 'Stockholm'

Post 3

Thank you for reading and your commentssmiley - smiley
Updates appliedsmiley - biggrin

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 4

Bluebottle

It's great to see you back in Peer smiley - dolphin Review again!smiley - wow

It looks good to me – I can understand you not wanting to make the entry too long, so I'm not expecting you to make any changes, but I thought I'd mention a little something on the subject.

By a coincidence I was reading a book about the Mary Rose this week, and it mentioned how in the 1510s Henry VIII gave Trinity House (don't ask for its full name) the exclusive right of pilotage in the Thames. Any ships entering or leaving the Thames would have to have a qualified member of Trinity House on board as pilot. This had two aims; it would not only prevent ships unfamiliar with the hazards from running aground and capsizing, it would also ensure that no French captains would learn how to approach London safely and be able to raid the city. (This latter aim had mixed success, for though no French ship raided London, it didn't stop the Dutch from doing something similar (if not quite as far as London) a century and a half later).
The money made from pilotage Trinity House spent on seaman's welfare and improving navigation aids such as buoys etc, and controls all Britain's lighthouses today over five centuries later.

<BB<

Post 5

Thank you <BB<

Added a couple paragraphs about Henry VIII and Trinity House. I do want to establish that this a very old profession.

I am not too sure of the pilots actually prevented anyone from learning the river. As long as the captain and his officers were on deck they could observe where the critical points were and which side of the river was best along each section. If they intended to help an invasion they could even disguise a navigational officer as a junior member of the crew and let him make notes and sketch charts out of the pilot's view. I c an see how others might belive tis so I gave a brief mention, but I do not intend to go into anymore detail in the Entry an see how others might believe i tis so I gave a brief mention

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 6

Bluebottle

That's a good question - did Trinity House really believe it, or was it just used by them as an argument to get the king to grant them the exclusive right of pilotage?

<BB<

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 7

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 8

Bluebottle

smiley - lighthouseWell done - the maritime pilots are being guided to the safe harbour of the Edited Guide.

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post