Bluebottle

Entry: 'Caprica' - the Television Series - A87871026
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

A look at a television series.

<BB<

A87871026 - 'Caprica' - the Television Series

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

There's seem to be a few typos in the names. You have Greystone and Graystone.

You say Yosef Adama adopts the name Joseph Adams but later reverts to his birthname. But in some places you have Joseph Adama, a combination of the two.

Getting names spelled correctly is one of the most important things you can do because it is very difficult for the sub-editor to do it without know the original material.

Post 3

Bluebottle

Good points, I've corrected 'Greystone' to 'Graystone' and hopefully Adama's name is clearer now.smiley - ta

<BB<

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

I enjoyed this - not something I've seen, but the Entry gives a good overview smiley - ok

In the Sam Adama section, should the mention of Joseph's son etc be in a new paragraph?

Aha! I see there is mention of the Sarah Connor Chronicles in this Entry, so that's another place I saw it before reading your other Entry smiley - ok

Post 5

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

We've just finished watching the DVDs 2 days ago. I saw your Entry earlier but didn't want to read it before I saw the series myself.

Our opinion was that Caprica had about the same problem as Stargate Universe (although SGU was a lot worse in it): by the time they had finally thoroughly introduced all characters and actually started to tell the story people had already lost interest and the series was stopped.

Going to read you Entry nowsmiley - run

Post 6

As far as I understood William Adama is not only the son of Joseph but also Evelyn. You could reword your last sentence about the Adama family to say that.

You say about Zoe 'leading her mother to believe that Zoe was the terrorist'. I don't quite agree with that sentence. Zoe obviously WAS a terrorist, but she wasn't the one who had the bomb, nor did she know about it obviously. But she is part of the STO and she developed the program to create digital copies of people for their virtual heaven.

You say 'The overall look of the show is also unique, combining both sleek, sophisticated, futuristic elements with 1950s fashion, architecture and cars certainly is distinctive.'
We read that they took European cars for the show so they would seem alien to the American audience. Also not all the architecture is from the 50s, the GReystone house for instance is quite futuristic and their neighbourhood very much reminded us of the game Anno 2070 ( http://www.spiele-pc-herunterladen.de/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/Anno%202205%20image%205.jpg )

I'll make some more comments later.

Post 7

Bluebottle

Thanks for the read through – I think your 'Stargate Universe' comment pretty much hits the nail on the head, although people at least still liked 'Stargate SG1', whereas a lot of BSG fans were disappointed by the ending.

I cannot agree that Zoe was a terrorist – she was certainly a member of an underground political movement, but that doesn't make her a terrorist. Let's say the fictional island of Atlantis was ruled by the fictional island of Lemuria. You could live on Atlantis and passionately believe it should be independent with all your might, even if that were illegal. You could spend all your time attending rallies, giving speeches, distributing leaflets, chaining yourself to buildings etc – but that doesn't make you a terrorist. If someone you know with the same belief proceeds to explode a bomb in a supermarket, that person is a terrorist. Yes, Zoe has adopted outlawed religious beliefs and has close connections to an organisation that has militant, terrorist members – but she herself is preoccupied with her AI copy and it is unclear to what extent she trusts the STO (she certainly kept her avatar Zoe secret from them). Just because Sister Willow intends for it to be used for a virtual heaven doesn't mean that that was Zoe's intention.
But neither she nor Sister Willow's STO cell to which she belonged knew of the bomb. Zoe did not murder anyone so is not a murderer, nor did she personally commit or know of any acts of terror (up until a second or two before her death, which doesn't count) and so is not a terrorist.

I've tweaked the futuristic/1950s section and included more information about the carssmiley - ok I hope you think that is an improvement.

SPOILER ALERT!

Seriously, STOP READING NOW if you've not watched it to the end:

Admittedly I've tried to be vague enough so that I hopefully don't actually give too much away, but sometimes a hint is all it takes to spoil something. So don't say you've not been warned.

The twist that really surprises that I referred to is to do with William Adama. William Adama, son of Joseph and Evelyn, is the main character in 'Battlestar Galactica'. In 'Caprica', Joseph Adama's son is called William Adama, but the William Adama that appears in 'Caprica' is not the one appearing in 'Battlestar Galactica'.

<BB<

Post 8

I agree with what you say about Zoe.

What I read on wiki is that obviously Baltar had visions of Zoe, but I can't remember all that clearly enough to varify it.
('Messenger Zoe: both the original Zoe and the Avatar Zoe occasionally interact with a strange, calm being that appears in Zoe's own form. It has been confirmed that this being is a "messenger", one of the mysterious spectral apparitions seen by Gaius Baltar and Caprica Six in Battlestar Galactica')

Yout text about the 1950s and futuristic style is fine now. smiley - smiley

I would not necessarily say that the creation of Zoe contradicts with the cylons in Galactica. She's more like a prototype, I guess. I think the series should later explain about the creation of the different models of cylons, but that never happened of course.

Post 9

Bluebottle

I did say there appears to be contradictions but it is certainly possible that these points would have been explained had the series continued. As you say, Baltar's visions are certainly related to Zoe's visions of Messenger Zoe and Amanda's visions of her dead brother, but these are not explained further because sadly the series was cancelled. I'm sure 'Caprica' would have tied up a lot of the loose ends had it carried on. Sadly I can only base the review on what they made (including the series 2 montage), and not on what they might have done.

<BB<

Post 10

smiley - smiley You are right, of course.

By the way, I must say that the VR stuff in Caprica reminded me of Tad Williams' Otherland. It's been many years since I read it, but the atmosphere and also the vision of eternal life in a virtual reality made me think of it quite a lot.

Post 11

Bluebottle

I'll add that smiley - book to my list of ones to look out forsmiley - ta

<BB<

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 13

bobstafford

smiley - cheers good news

Post 14

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! smiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post