A Conversation for The Evolution of the Dandies

Peer Review: A87859093 - The Evolution of the Dandy

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Entry: The Evolution of the Dandy - A87859093
Author: SashaQ - happysad - U9936370

Here is an Entry inspired by Dmitri's Entry Male (Role) Models.

See what you think smiley - blush

A87859093 - The Evolution of the Dandy

Post 2

bobstafford

Very interesting point of view, opens the concept of the dandy in the modern era. Nice work very well done.

The title first thing I thought of was the 60's comic smiley - laugh

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Thank you smiley - biggrin

Ah - I didn't think of the comic smiley - laugh I'll think about whether I can tweak it, but the introductory paragraph does make the topic clear!

Post 4

You can call me TC

Hi Sasha - this is interesting, especially as it gives a proper definition to the concept of what a "Dandy" is, bringing it up to date with examples one would never have really connected with the word.

The whole time I had the tune "dedicated follower of fashion" going through my head (although dandies would probably be more leaders of fashion than followers of fashion). Wondered if it was worth quoting somewhere..... (They seek him here, they seek him there)

Post 5

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - ok Nice!

'Dandysme' is spelled without the 'i', according to internet archive's copy of the book:

http://archive.org/details/dudandysmeetdeg00aurgoog

Could you give citations for these books, please? Like this, I mean:

J Barbey D'Aurevilly, Du Dandysme et de Georges Brummell, Paris, 1879.

Either in a text section or footnotes? So people can look them up. smiley - smiley

How could that book have no pictures? smiley - winkeye

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks everyone smiley - biggrin

I have tweaked the Entry to add links as well as tidying up the references, so I hope that's better.

Thank you TC - the Kinks get their own section in the Pop Dandy book, so I added a paragraph including Dedicated Follower of Fashion smiley - senior as that's one of my favourite songs smiley - biggrin

Post 7

bobstafford

Even better nice entry well done smiley - applause

Post 8

smiley - ok Excellent.

Post 9

Bluebottle

Just a quick question for now - who was Max Beerbohm, and what remarkable thing did he do (other than die in 1956)?

<BB<

Post 10

He wrote "Enoch Soames", a significant work for the British Library's history:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1997/11/a-memory-of-the-nineteen-nineties/376995/

People were all over the Library that day, waiting for the time-travelling bad poet to appear. smiley - run

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks both - that was a fascinating link smiley - biggrin so I added it in along with more detail of Max Beerbohm's Dandy qualifications.

Post 12

FWR

Love this kind of thing, well done Sashasmiley - cheers

Post 13

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - cheers

Good to see you back online!

Post 14

FWR

Stirling work from the dandies working behind the scenes! smiley - ok

Post 15

pailaway - (an utterly gratuitous link in the evolutionary chain)

What a fun read. smiley - ok

Dandy is one of those words I've never looked up because I assumed I knew what it meant - but it is quite nuanced isn't it? Nice work.

I'm going to express some tiny little doubt that Lola has anything to do with dandies or dandyism, but I'm not an expert on the point either.

Kudos. smiley - biggrin

Post 16

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks pailaway smiley - biggrin

I'll think about how to reword the Lola sentence, as the song itself isn't about Dandies, but it is just that line that indicates the Kinks are aware they are Dandies...

Post 17

Gnomon - time to move on

This is the front cover of the first edition of the "Dandy" comic:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Dandy_first_issue.jpg

(from 1937)

I thought perhaps there might be something there that indicated why the comic got that name. The only clue is the guy at the top beside the name who looks like a porter or bell-hop in a posh hotel, wearing a uniform, rather than someone who cares about their appearance. I wonder did the meaning of the word change in the 20th Century.

Post 18

Gnomon - time to move on

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3a/Dandy_first_issue.jpg

Post 19

minorvogonpoet

This is an interesting article.smiley - smiley

I wondered about the female dandies. As women are expected to care about their appearance, wearing ostentatious clothes is less of an act of defiant individuality than it is for a man, and doesn't carry the same question of sexuality. Maybe what you are saying is that there has to be an exceptional devotion to self-image for a woman to count as a dandy.smiley - diva Would Madonna or Lady Gaga count?

There are a couple of long sentences you might think of splitting.
smiley - biro The sentence beginning 'Barbey was a colourful character', could be broken after 'flamboyant'

smiley - biro The sentence beginning 'The 19th century dandy is exemplified by Oscar Wilde', could be broken after 'minds'.

Post 20

SashaQ - happysad

I tweaked the Lola sentence

I have added in a little more about the definition of the Dandy, to hopefully make it clearer that it is about crafting a style, hence the female Dandies pay attention to their appearance, but in a manner that crafts a distinctive image rather than fitting in with others.

Lady Gaga would fit the definition, as her image is everything and she likes to shock as well as amuse - I might add her in as well... I'll check up on Madonna, too - I'm not very familiar with what she has done lately, but in the past she certainly crafted a style smiley - ok

I looked up the Dandy comic, and there is a Guardian article wondering why the logo is a bellboy, but I couldn't find anything else about it...

I broke up the two epic sentences smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more