Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: Verona, Italy - A87852810
Author: Gnomon - U151503

The best of Verona.

A87852810 - Verona, Italy

Post 2

minorvogonpoet

This is a well-written article, which makes me want to go back to Verona and spend more time there.smiley - smiley I went on a brief tour but all I remember is Juliet's balcony. It was made clear to us that the balcony doesn't belong to Juliet's time.

One question - you say the main squares are the Piazza Erbe and Piazza Bra. Although you describe the Piazza Erbe, you don't say much about the Piazza Bra. Is it of little interest?

One quibble smiley - biro You say that the Piazza di Signori is smaller (than the Piazza Erbe) twice.

Post 3

Bluebottle

A very enjoyable read - unfortunately I've not been there, but I hope there'll be lots of photos.smiley - smiley

<BB<

Post 4

You can call me TC

This is a place I have always wanted to visit, too. Lots of our friends and acquaintances have been to opera performances there.

Just to show I have read it attentatively, may I point out a couple of things:

smiley - oribThe sentence "You can get to just about anywhere in 15 minutes of walking" is a bit clunky and spoils the flow, I find. Also, it begs the question: "Get to anywhere from where?" Without changing the meaning, it could perhaps be phrased something like "All points of interest in the town are within a 15-minute walk" or "All the places described in this entry are no further than a 15-minute walk apart".. I'm not completely happy with either of those,either, but smiley - shrug

smiley - oribThere is a space missing between Verdi's (with link) and Aida.

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, minorvogonpoet. I've removed the duplication about Piazza Signori being smaller, and I've added a paragraph about Piazza Bra.

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks TC. I've changed that sentence to "All of the tourist sights are within 15 minutes' walk of the centre." but am open to other suggestions.

The missing space has been fixed. The space was there but due to a bug in HTML it was not displayed (a space between a closing tag and an opening tag is not displayed).

Thanks, BB, for your comments. I've lots of photos of Verona. It's just a question of picking a few good ones.

Post 7

bobstafford

And I've added a paragraph about Piazza Bra. smiley - cool I cant find that in the text smiley - erm sounds interesting ....smiley - biggrin

Post 8

You can call me TC

That paragraph adds a whole new dimension to the picture you draw of the city. It seems to have everything!

Nitpick: Footnote 2: of, not if.

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

Nitpick corrected. I've added the derivation of "Bra" from braida meaning broad, to prevent bobstafford from getting too excited.

Post 10

You can call me TC

Which opens up the whole subject of the Venetian dialect - or rather patois, as it's nearly a language on its own. I assume a version of it is spoken in Verona. But that is perhaps not the subject of this entry.

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

I've heard it said that there is no such thing as the language "Italian" or the nation of "Italy". They're still a lot of separate groups speaking different languages.

I know the language spoken around Venice is "Friuli" (sp?). I don't know whether that extends as far as Verona. But as you say, that is not the subject of this entry.

Key: Complain about this post