A Conversation for The Lady Lever Art Gallery, Wirral, UK

Peer Review: A87850812 - The Lady Lever Art Gallery, Wirral, UK

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Entry: The Lady Lever Art Gallery, Wirral, UK - A87850812
Author: SashaQ - eccentric editor - U9936370

This Entry evolved out of the paragraphs in my Port Sunlight Entry A87831778 as this gallery is another one of the Liverpool Museums and so I want to include it in the set as an Entry in its own right.

smiley - biggrin

A87850812 - The Lady Lever Art Gallery, Wirral, UK

Post 2

Bluebottle

Another fine entry, I'm learning all about the Wonders of the Wirralsmiley - winkeye

You could possibly include the 'National Museums Liverpool' banner at the top?

Also I wasn't entirely sure whether Hulme Hall is a separate building entirely, or whether the site of the hall was used to build the gallery on. (Looks like a separate building if the Beatles were in the hall in 1962). Had anything been on the site before the gallery, or was it nowt but fields?

Also, you didn't mention in your footnote that Princess Beatrice was Governor of the Isle of Wight from 1896–1944 (probably because it is in no way, shape or form particularly relevant to the art gallery).

<BB<

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Hi <BB<

Thanks for reading, and sorry I didn't look at this before now.

I have added a bit more about the area of the Museum. I haven't yet added the Liverpool Museums banner, as the Sudley House banner will need tweaking when Entries are eventually picked, but I guess I could do that. I didn't mention the Governor of the Isle of Wight, as I'm not sure if there is a good h2g2 link to use, but I'll gladly add the information if you have a suggestion smiley - biggrin

Post 4

Bluebottle

I suspect I may have to write about the Captains, Governors and Lord Lieutenants of the Isle of Wight at some point...

Is John Everett Millais' painting 'Bubbles' aka 'A Child's World' on display there? I believe that this painting was one of the first used to sell soap, in this case Pears Soap, a company that I think was later bought by Lever Brothers. Did Lever buy the painting too?

<BB<

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

Bubbles added smiley - ok

Post 6

Bluebottle

smiley - taMillais was from Southampton (not the Isle of Wight) but I work in the Millais building and I must say he's my favourite pre-Raphaelite.smiley - artist

<BB<

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok He is my favourite Pre-Raphaelite too, joint with Eleanor Fortescue-Brickdale smiley - biggrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/spring-apple-blossoms-102593

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

National Museums Liverpool banner added smiley - ok

(after I defeated the Captcha, which was more stubborn at home than on my work computer...)

Post 9

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I love this entry, and I love the "Bubbles" painting. My mother used Pears soap for us when we were growing up, we felt so grown up when she stopped using the Johnson's soap! It felt like a rite of passage. Mum still uses a Pears block of soap though I switched to liquid soap when it first came out and never went back.

smiley - ermsorrysmiley - offtopicsmiley - blushbut it's all your fault for invoking childhood memories smiley - winkeye

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - chick

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

bobstafford

Excellent well done smiley - smileysmiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post