Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: Sauron, the Dark Lord of Middle-earth - A87849238
Author: Gnomon - U151503

Another Tolkien entry

A87849238 - Sauron, the Dark Lord of Middle-earth

Post 2

bobstafford

This Entry attempts to provide some of the back story to Sauron.?
Maybe, some of the background story to Sauron.smiley - smiley

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I'd say "back story", but Wikipedia says it should be spelled "backstory", and that "background story" is an alternative.

Post 4

bobstafford

Nothing more is heard of Sauron during the First Age. At the end of it, when Melkor was finally defeated, Sauron was offered pardon, but was told that >we< would have to go to Valinor and be judged by the Valar. He decided not to accept the offer and disappeared into the east for a thousand years.

should the above be "he"

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Well spotted bob. I've fixed that, and have changed "back story" to "backstory".

Post 6

bobstafford

and threw it into the molten rock, destroying it,

For the purists perhaps maybe

after a struggle with the creature Gollum it fell into the molten rock, and was destroyed.

This is a big entry that reads so well you don't notice the size thats a sign of good writing smiley - applause

Well done it makes the history of middle earth easily understandable smiley - magicsmiley - cheers

Post 7

bobstafford

"back story" or "backstory". history just sounds better its just an opinion though not a correction. Glad I could help smiley - cheers

Post 8

Bluebottle

>Sauron was offered pardon, but was told that >we< would have to go to Valinor and be judged by the Valar. He decided not to accept the offer and disappeared into the east for a thousand years.
should the above be "he"?<

I'm disappointed - I was looking forward to going too and have just finished packing...smiley - footprints

<BB<

Post 9

bobstafford

smiley - erm well spotted BB I mist thatsmiley - laugh

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

Did you feel ready to be judged by the Valar, BB?

Post 11

Bluebottle

Well, I did go through a period of claiming to be Bluebottle, one of the Blue Wizards – but that was a few years ago.

It's been a while since I read The Lost & Unfinished Tales so my memory is hazy, but wasn't there an early version in which Sauron was a puddy tat smiley - cat rather than a smiley - fullmoon?

<BB<

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

The island of Tol Sirion was occupied by giant cats in that version; the sunned themselves on the terraces of the Elf-built fortress. But I can't remember if Sauron himself turned himself into a pussums.

Post 13

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Hi Gnomon smiley - smiley

I hope that I'll be able to read all your Middle Earth Entries in Pr, but I can't make any promises.

So... as you seem to describe much about the Valar and Maiar in the first part of this Entry I would also mention that it seems like every Maia belongs to a Vala. You do say that Sauron once belonged to Aule, but the system not clear enough I think. I always found it interesting that Sauron and Saruman both once belonged to the same Vala. ( Coincidence? )

Maybe also mention that the balrogs once were Maiar who got corrupted. Just likes Orks are corrupted Elves, as far as I remember. But maybe that would go too far.

... I have to go shopping now and it seems I have some reading to do. I will come back to this later! smiley - book

Post 14

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

ok... I am not quite awake because the baby woke several times this night, but I'll do my best to make further comments...

You give a translation of 'Morgoth' but not of Sauron as far as I saw.

I was about to correct you on the correct plural form of Silmaril, but obviously both Silmarils and Silmarilli are correct, so I won't. smiley - winkeye

I would not say that the two trees gave light to Valinor, but they were the only light on Arda at that time. This makes their destruction even worse.
Is it too much to mention that sun and moon were created from a fruit and a blossom of the trees?

'In this Entry, I'll give a very brief summary of the events as they concerned Sauron.'
I thought you're not supposed to use 'I' in Entries?

I'd mention that Beleriand was in the west of Middle-Earth, so people can make some kind of geographic connection.

Kazad-dum could need a footnote, saying that it is Moria.

... more from me latersmiley - run

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks for your comments Tav.

I mention that Sauron worked for Aulë but I don't want to go into any more detail because it would mean introducing more Valar and Maiar and that would be confusing.

I already mention the balrog as a Maia.

I certainly don't want to mention orcs as corrupted elves because it's far from clear whether that is true. Tolkien himself didn't seem to have decided.

You're right, I need to give the meaning of Sauron and to give the Sindarin version, Gorthaur, too.

The two trees did light up the whole of Valinor so I won't change that. And it is too much detail to mention where the Sun and Moon came from.

The rule about "I" is not as strict as it was under the BBC. But it looks bad so I'll change it.

I'll add notes on Beleriand and Khazad dum.

But I'm not attempting any edits ony phone so it will have to wait until the weekend.

G

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

OK, I've added a new section explaining Sauron's name.

I've added footnotes about Khazad-dum and Beleriand, and have removed the reference to "I".

smiley - smiley

Post 17

Gnomon - time to move on

This is back in Peer Review at F48874?thread=8315148.

Key: Complain about this post