A Conversation for Walk from Glossop to Hadfield via Bleaklow

Peer Review: A87841704 - Walk from Glossop to Hadfield via Bleaklow

Post 1

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

Entry: Walk from Glossop to Hadfield via Bleaklow - A87841704
Author: the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish - U204330

trying to see if I can write an entry in a day, like in the old days !!

A87841704 - Walk from Glossop to Hadfield via Bleaklow

Post 2

bobstafford

Good entry excellent walk information well done smiley - magicsmiley - cheers

Post 3

Metal Chicken

Harrop Moss is great, I love threading my way through those boardwalks smiley - smiley This is an area I consider my playground, extension to my back garden and I'm very familiar with everywhere you've described. Nicely written.

There are myriad variations on this route dependant on taste, time and weather conditions. May be worth a mention that most of this route is in Open Access land, so you can go anywhere and don't need to stick to footpaths. You're right to caution that you need to know what you're doing up there, map reading is essential and you're a long way from help if the worst happens and you need to call out the local mountain rescue team. Mobile phone signal is very iffy as well, so don't rely on that.

You maybe could mention that as this is prime grouse shooting country, in the season you're likely to come across scrawled signs tied to stiles saying 'shooting today' - these signs should be heeded, particularly if you can hear shots in the area!

Post 4

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

smiley - smiley

Post 5

Bluebottle

An enjoyable account.smiley - footprints

I did wonder what a wheelchair accessible stile looks like – can't say I've ever seen one.

You might consider mentioning that the Pennine Way is one of the UK's 15 National Trails. See:
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine-way

<BB<

Post 6

minorvogonpoet

This is good smiley - smiley, and sounds as if it's written from sometimes bitter experience.

In the section titled 'Brown Moor', do you need to say the Trig Point is a thing, as you've already explained they are small columns?

There are a few typos.

smiley - biro The sentence beginning 'As a large hill' should continue 'it is not unknown for it to be'.

smiley - biro In the sentence beginning 'Having crossed the bridge', the spelling of 'shear' should be 'sheer'.

smiley - biro In the piece about Over Exposed and the sentence beginning "In poor visability' the spelling should be 'visibility'.

In the last paragraph, the sentence beginning 'Despite or maybe because', 'specular'should be'spectacular'

Post 7

Deek

It's an interesting article that I would think would be useful to walkers that hadn't done this route before. I liked the 'warts an'all' objective view you've taken that shows its not an easy walk, but worth the effort in the end.

But I've always thought though, that guide entries such as this would benefit from, and be even more useful with, the inclusion of o/s map grid references. You stress that a map and map reading skills are useful on this walk, and you give one ref to the aeroplane wreck, but I think it could include references for the start/finish and major points along the way.

Otherwise I quite enjoyed reading this. There ought to be more of these kind of articles in the Guide.

Post 8

Bluebottle

My only suggestion at the moment is whether you'd like to include links to some other, related entries:

A416305 - The Peak District, Derbyshire, UK
A673490 - The National Parks of England and Wales
A87838942 - The Ordnance Survey
A593309 - Mountain Hares of the Peak District, Derbyshire, UK
A51606957 - Well Dressings of the English Peak District
A87753900 - The Kinder Trespass
A2788581 - Peveril Castle, Derbyshire, UK
A577028 - Castleton, Derbyshire, UK

<BB<

Post 9

Bluebottle

Sadly the Jon M hasn't posted for over a year and appears to have smiley - elvised. Anyone going to second the Flea Market?

<BB<

Post 10

bobstafford

Agreed its a shame it is a good entry second to the Flea Market, where it will stand a chance of a rescuesmiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post