A Conversation for The Stewarts. James I And VI, Comes To The English Throne

A87793960 - James Ist, The First Stuart King of England

Post 21

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Re Post 14

I realize you are working on a much larger project, but it is important that this Entry be complete enough to tell the story of James I. Many people will stop here only to read about James and will not follow the links. I have personally studied many of the Monarchs and events of this period, but almost all one at a time.

Imagine someone reading a novel or watching a film set in the time of James, they want to understand the man and the events of his life - if we are incomplete they are far more likely to just go to another site that to follow a dozen links they don't understand.

It is fine to only add a sentence or two, with the appropriate link included.

I do see a great deal of improvement heresmiley - biggrin

F < dolphin > S

Post 22

Gnomon - time to move on

I think you should drop the bit about the "incorrect" translation in the King James Bible.

1. The King James Version of the Bible (KJV) was translated from the original Hebrew rather than from Latin or Greek (at least in the Old Testament which is the section in question here).

2. If there was doubt about any passage, they would have referred to the Latin (Vulgate) and Greek (Septuagint) versions for suggestions as to what the words might mean, to see what other translators of the past thought of them.

3. The word in question which is given as "witch" in the KJV is "mekhashefah" in the Hebrew. In the Latin version it is maleficos and in Greek it is pharmakous.

These words mean someone who does evil magic against someone else by means of drugs and chanted spells.

4. In the Hebrew, the word is female but can mean all people who practise this art. In Latin, a neutral word was used. I don't know about the Greek one.

So the use of the word "witch" in the King James Bible appears to be the most accurate translation of the word, although it does give an impression that it applies only to women, where it might have originally meant both men and women.

Post 23

bobstafford

Thanks KB smiley - ok

Post 24

Gnomon - time to move on

This is the same section of the Bible, by the way, that says:

- if a man steals and kills a sheep, and can't pay back restitution, he shall be sold into slavery
- you shall not curse a ruler of your people
- you shall not wear clothes made from two different types of cloth.

Post 25

bobstafford

Bible section alteredsmiley - smiley

Post 26

bobstafford

The problem FS is the entry is not entirely about James it is about one aspect of his life and is becoming a story of the royal families involvement in the causes of the English Civil War.
smiley - smiley

Post 27

Gnomon - time to move on

Since the entry is entitled "James Ist, The First Stuart King of England", it should be about James I. If it's telling a different story, it should have a different title.

Post 28

bobstafford

What do you think of this

James I,The First Stuart King of England was it appears was working title as the entry developed in another direction.

Mary Queen Of Scots already in the guide

1, James I,The First Stuart King of England ?
2, James Family Henry Elizabeth and Charles Stuart
3, James and George Villiers
4, James Sends Charles To The Court Of Spain
5, James Sends Charles At The Court Of France
6, The Marriage King Charles 1624 < James died 1 mth before the Marriage>
7, The lead up to the ECW possably

1,2 and 3 are the story of James
4, and 5 are the story of Charles
6 and 7 King Charles His reign
there are several Cromwell entries and ECW entries already
The siege of Derry has some late Stewart history

Any ideas on the format smiley - smiley

Post 29

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here, Bob. Can you put that into English sentences, so that we know what you're saying?

Post 30

bobstafford

What do you think of this Idea

James I,The First Stuart King of England was it appears was working title as the entry developed in another direction.

There is a Mary Queen Of Scots entry already in the guide so to follow on from that start with
entry 1, James I,The First Stuart King of England, retitled as James I Comes To The English Throne ?

Then continue the story of James with entry 2, James Family Henry Elizabeth and Charles Stuart and entry 3, James and George Villiers.

The marriage of Charles had a politically sensitive false start that can be covered by, an entry 4, James Sends Charles To The Court Of Spain.

James sent Charles to France for broker a marriage to Henrietta Maria and strengthen England's pro-French policy would be covered in an entry 5, James Sends Charles At The Court Of France

James died 1 mth before the Marriage, so

an entry 6, The Marriage King Charles 1624, could cover Charles and the lead up to the ECW. possibly an entry 7, The lead up to the
ECW.

There are several Cromwell entries and ECW entries already
The siege of Derry has some late Stewart history

Post 31

Gnomon - time to move on

Do you really think it needs all those separate entries rather than just a single one about James and a single one about Charles?

Post 32

bobstafford

They will be very large

Post 33

Gnomon - time to move on

If they're going to be more than about 2,000 words, it's probably worth splitting them up. A typical entry is between 500 and 1,000 words, but can be as small as about 200 and as big as 5,000. (Those are general limits, not absolute rules).

Post 34

bobstafford

I am to close to this to be 100% objective.

What is your opinion of post 30 in terms of content flow and manageability.

smiley - smiley

Post 35

Gnomon - time to move on

It looks good, but I don't know the subject.

Post 36

bobstafford

It is complex to say the least

Post 37

bobstafford

Retitled - James I Comes To The English Throne
smiley - smiley

Post 38

tucuxii

"Pretty much everywhere south of Texas is Catholic."

...which is why penguins look like nuns.

Post 39

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Hi again!
There are a few hings I noticed while reading this Entry.

Footnote 1: you talk about a Sir Henry Carey in a footnote about Sir Robert Carey. I don't understand that. Were they related? Or did you make a mistake and write Robert instead of Henry? Or the other way round? smiley - huh

For my taste, footnote 4 is far too long for a footnote.

Who killed his father?

Why was James king if his father was only a lord?

Why was he crowned king if they wanted to get rid of his father and mother?

You say 'James did have few good points' at the start of a new paragraph and then, apart from his good mind, go to mention the single parliament of Great Britain and Scotland as well as the colonisation of Ulster and America. I think it is debateable wether these are his good points...
Also, I guess not everyone knows what Ulster is, why they colonized it and who lived there before.

'However a group of Catholic conspirators planned to take this opportunity to assassinate James in the same manner as his father, by gunpowder. '
Tell us how exactly. I can only conclude from footnote 17 that they hid gunpowder in the room somewhere? Don't expect people to know this.

'The Protestant Plantations into Ulster that created during James’s reign and forced Protestant landlords upon the Catholic Irish population. '
This sentence has to be reworded. Also you should tell your readers why this became a problem, or how this became a problem.

Shouldn't you tell about Mary's remains further up, when you tell about James coming to London? It doesn't fit to the Legacy part.

All in all I think you take too much knowledge of your readers for granted.

Post 40

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hiya Bob, how is this coming along? smiley - smiley

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more