A Conversation for Technical Feedback

Why does the link for the latest posts in Pliny take me to the beginning of the thread?

Post 1

You can call me TC

This only applies to the "Tell me a Joke" thread, which is now somewhere over 16000 posts.

However, the "Petty Hates" thread is now nearly as long, so I wonder when it will start happening there.

When I click on the "latest posts" in Goo, this just takes me to the top of the last page in the thread.

The advantage of Pliny is that it really does take you to the last posts in a thread - the ones you haven't read yet. That's brilliant. Except in this one case. The conversation is:
F16034?thread=76493

I only use Pliny on my phone, but that makes it even more fiddly and annoying to have to click the arrows to the last page, having made a note in my head how many new posts the thread has accumulated since I last looked, and then counting backwards from the very last post.

Yelbakk has confirmed that he has also observed this phenomenon.

Why does the link for the latest posts in Pliny take me to the beginning of the thread?

Post 2

Icy North

Maybe it's a joke?

Post 3

You can call me TC

Good theory. I'm not sure I want to plough through 16000 jokes several times a week though.

Post 4

Icy North

Have you tried it on other long threads, like No No No, etc?

(And no, no, no I don't have the link)

Post 5

Icy North

Try the '"What news story has caught your attention today?" thread' at F19585?thread=502685

Post 6

Pastey

Off the top of my head it's to do with the forum type api and redirect. For some forums it's not possible to point to a specific post without causing an infinite loop.

Post 7

You can call me TC

That would tally with what someone said about the Most boring and banal thread also behaving like this. I'm not subscribed to that, though, so I haven't tried it myself.

Post 8

Milla, h2g2 Operations

This is a known error, and it's on the list to do. Other issues have prevented us from working on it, sadly.
smiley - towel

Post 9

Recumbentman

Other issues? To do with hampsters?

Post 10

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Mainly yes... smiley - whistle

smiley - towel

Post 11

You can call me TC

Don't worry, Milla - it's really not a bugbear. I just wondered, that's all.

Post 12

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it depends on which forum the thread belongs.
smiley - towel

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more