This is the Message Centre for Sol

Brilliance in Blogging and Kidding Herself

Post 1

Sol

So every year one of the biggest UK blogging networks, Britmums, runs one of the biggest blogging awards, the BiBs or Brilliance in Blogging.

And this year I have decided to throw Herself's hat into the ring.

This means I need nominations, which are actually more like votes. I've explained more about it here: http://kiddingherself.com/bibs2015-and-kidding-herself/

It's a bit of a faff, as they ask you to choose your favourite post, and say something about why Kidding Herself is so fabulous and full of awesome, but I would be very grateful if some of you wouldn't mind doing it.

Call it a vote for h2g2, as I do try to promote the site a bit as well. I expect that's a bit of a sop to my conscience given that I write the blog rather than entries these days.

I can do a deal? I am not too proud to do a deal. In return for nominations I will write not one but two entries. One on mummy blogging (it's all for research, see?) and the other on the attraction Herself has already written about of your choice.

Anyway. Here is the link to the Britmum's site direct. http://www.britmums.com/awards/

Post 2

Recumbentman

No, don't make it a transaction. More honourable to simply beg for votes. I'll certainly have a look and vote on merit...

Post 3

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Oooh - Sol! Your blogs are always brilliant - and I see you promoting h2g2 regularly - for which thanks!! I will be hard put to choose the one I like the best. I'm not trying to flatter you, but the truth is that your writing has such flair and originality, it's always inspiring to read. I wish I had your way with words.

So yes folks - please support Sol. As a writing community we should do this; go and see how she writes - the blogs are worthy. Even if she hadn't meant to write some Entries. I know her time is tightly timetabled, being a very busy person.

Good luck from me Sol. (I'm a fan)

Post 4

Sol

*grins* But I have to make commitments when it comes to writing otherwise I am too lazy. I actually like deadlines. I have actually been wanting to write the mummy blogging entry and one about the Cosmonautics Museum for ages.

Post 5

Recumbentman

I chose 'the Moscow Darwin Museum' and will happily vote for that. I like the adoption of the under-7-year-old voice, an eerily knowing child, recalling the girl in the brilliant 'Hideous Kinky'.

If you want to keep editing (I was reading in Peer Review mode) you might like to correct play>pay, and add a few words 'to entirely visible of my height' (entirely visible to someone of my height?)

I loved the writing and got the message clearly. Well, I didn't love 'I have to say that I heartily concur' but that's about all.

Well done, and go on to great acclaim! smiley - bubbly

Post 6

Icy North

Wow - this one's completely floored me.

It's those pronouns. Who is she, and what's she doing for herself?

And as Herself is capitalised, does this imply She is a deity?

I am not worthy.

Post 7

Recumbentman

Come on Icy, this is a child revering her mother. Deity is an understatement.

Anyway Sol, i've put in my vote, or rather nomination, under the Fresh Voices category. Best of luck!smiley - ok

Post 8

Icy North

And I voted too smiley - smiley

Post 9

Deb

I've voted. I would have voted for someone's blog just for the h2g2 connection, but in the case of Kidding Herself I think it's genuinely worth the vote. I've been a fan since NaJoPoMo whatever year it was!

I voted for the London Wetlands Centre (all those ducks!) but I'm not sure the URL was relevant just for that blog.

Good luck!

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 10

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Do you have to be a brit to vote? If not, I'll vote once my laptop, with all its lovely rss feeds (including Kidding Herself)
, has been brought out of its coma.

Post 11

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Posted my votessmiley - biggrin

Had to pick the Garden for purely selfish reasonssmiley - evilgrin

I did post my number as a 1+44 so we will see if I get a nasty E-mail back.

smiley - goodluck

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 12

Sol

Oh this is *very* cool! Thanks guys!

Thanks for the proofs. I *hate* proofing, and I am very bad at it. I love writing for the guide because I love the reassurance someone will point it out. And sort the damn photos.

The vote is a vote for the blog's main URL. I think they use the individual post suggestions when they do a triage - the blogs with the most nominations go through automatically, but they choose a few others and I suppose they are more likely to look at ones with a few nice words said about them and some ideas of cool posts to look at.

You can vote from anywhere, Amy, so go right ahead!

Post 13

SashaQ - happysad

WWT caught my eye, too, as I'm into bird watching these days smiley - ok excellent review, and I appreciate Herself's perspective on the facilities smiley - biggrin

Post 14

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"Kidding herself" seems to be written form the perspective of a young child. Are you the child, Solnushka? Are you the mother of the child?

Some interesting posts -- I love nature preserves, by the way! The entry before the nature post had this intriguing sentence: "It always puzzled her when, after she had given him control of the car boot sale toy budget, he would pass over that snazzy looking lion in favour of this motheaten sorry specimen of an armadillo. "

An armadillo was a key plot device in "Prayer for Owen Meany." An interesting, unique creature, an armadillo is what I would prefer over al ion! There's a old Texas saying that the only things you find in the middle of the road are yellow lines and dead armadillos. But let's go easy on the armadillos. At the very least, they suggest that if there is a God, a sense of humor is definitely present! smiley - tongueout

Post 15

Icy North

{I love nature preserves, by the way!}

You want to try my squirrel jam smiley - biggrin

Post 16

You can call me TC

In Britain, the yellow lines are at the side of the road. Armadillos are relatively rare.

Post 17

Sol

I'd forgotten about Duck World, debs and Sasha! We let our membership lapse this year, but it is still my top pick for London attractions whether or not you like birds. Do you have one of their reserves near you Sasha? I forget where you actually are. Glad you liked it anyway!

Gosh. A place where armadillos are common enough for roadkill. Cool. Very cool. I am the Mama, Paulh. Herself and her Big Brother are my actual kids. The blog is all true. Well, the events are all true. Obviously Herself is a bit more fixated on horses, Frozen and rice cakes than I make her out to be.

Post 18

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I used to live near a nature preserve, so near tat when I trapped a mouse in my kitchen, I brought it to the preserve rather than kill it.
If the mouse survived, fine. If it got eaten by an owl or snake, at least it was part of the natural food chain. smiley - smiley At least I didn't envelope it in jello like some bachelors are alleged to have done. smiley - biggrin

Post 19

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - biggrin

I live in Merseyside, so there aren't any WWT places very near, but there are a few RSPB reserves around the area, and they are good too smiley - biggrin

Post 20

Sol

Oh yes, Sasha. Port Sunlight. My memory is going, clearly!

I don;t think I'll tell Himself about the mouse in jello, paulh. It might give him ideas.

Anyway, nominations are proceeding, which is great!

Is this a good time to mention there is another, similar set of awards coming up in the next few months?

Key: Complain about this post