A Conversation for Songs that Stick in your Head

What's yours?

Post 41

Is mise Duncan

Related topic: annoying mobile phone rings that stick in your head. I currently have the theme from Mission Impossible in my head!

What's yours?

Post 42

The Nitpicker

Spearcarrier

Have you visited vegiman's home page?

The Nitpicker

Have I The Right

Post 43

Beechwood Park

Have I The Right is my notorious example. Monstrous 2 note riff and thumping beat along to the chorus - "Come RIGHT BACK / I just CAN'T BEAR it / I got some LOVE / And I long to SHARE it / Come right BACK / Right BACK where you belong.."

Argh. AAARGH!

What's yours?

Post 44

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

The theme from Titanic, Flower of Scotland and the one from the advert with the guy with the huge phone who's always screaming into it!!

What's yours?

Post 45

Cheerful Dragon

I haven't had problems with a song stuck in my head for years. If one does get stuck I ignore it, unless it's one I've got on tape / CD. In that case I get it out and play it - that usually cures the problem.

The last time a song / tune caused me grief was back in 1992. Torville and Dean were ice-dancing in the Winter Olympics, using 'Let's face the music' for their main routine. They came third. The night they did their main routine I woke up in the middle of the night with 'Let's face the music' going round and round in my head. Worse still, if I closed my eyes I could actually see Torville and Dean. It took me about 4 hours before I was able to get back to sleep again and I wasn't fit for anything the following day. I haven't watched ice-skating since!

"If I only had a brain"

Post 46

Heave2Leave

Top Cat, you're right. This is certainly the stickiest song of all time. It's been in my head now on and off for about 18 years and the sick thing is I STILL LIKE IT. The downside to all this of course (apart from the fact that it's probably having a detrimental effect on my sanity) is that it's not exactly the most flattering thing you can sing about. You're making other people aware of your admitted brainlessness. I've learnt to deal with my problem through inserting the tune into others' heads with the aid of an irritating little accompanying jig, ala the original ScareCrow. The good thing about all of this is that even if it's bringing me down, I can take a hell of a lot of people with me. You have been warned.

"If I only had a brain"

Post 47

Peregrin

anything by Aqua. Especially Barbie Girl.

What's yours?

Post 48

Tempest

I get songs in my head because it was the last song I heard before I left the house. Since I only listen to my CDs I don't get stupid songs on the radio stuck in my head. And if a song that I like is in my head I just have a strong urge to listen to it as soon as I can.

The exception to this is that I've been riding to work with my mom and she listens to the local pop (poop) music station and I can't listen to my tapes so horrible things like Brittany Spears get stuck in my head all day at work. I don't know how she can sleep at night knowing what torture she puts me through everyday.

What's yours?

Post 49

Peregrin

Ah yes - good point - anything by Britney Spears sticks like an octopus covered with Prit-Stick.
I personally think that there's something slightly uncanny about Britney Spears, and how she finds the time to create all the trash that pours out of kid's television programmes. Same for S Club 7, Five, and any other manufactured brain-dead teen pop sensations floating around.

What's yours?

Post 50

Tempest

Jay Leno made a funny joke about her in his monologue last night. He said that she cancelled a show in Denver because the stage was too small. He then asked, "How big are her implants now?"

What's yours?

Post 51

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Sleigh Ride. What's fun is that if you've got an evil streak you can inflict this song on other people.

My usual method for getting rid of a song is to think of a Frank Zappa tune. Jewish Princess usually does it; and if that doesn't work, Camarillo Brillo.

What's yours?

Post 52

nim the cat (STILL choking in air pollution)

"We are livin' in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine ..."

I was about 5 or 6, couldn't understand English and had to get it translated for me. Somehow the concept of living in a yellow submarine apealed to me.

What's yours?

Post 53

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

When I have this problem, it's usually at aerobics class, where the teacher's put on some godawful pop song, and I leave the room humming it.

At work or home, I avoid the problem by having the stereo on constantly. For suppression songs, I can recommend any performance of "Minnie the Moocher"; Big Bad Voodoo Daddy does a good one.

What's yours?

Post 54

Neugen Amoeba

Lets hope that Australians get hold of some medals. At least the Australian national anthem, although not very memorable, rather forgetable actually, has that wonderful word 'girt' in it.

ummm, the theory falls apart...

Post 55

telegram sam

i don't think the theory that repititious listening to a song makes it stick in your head... i.e... i have had the most evil of songs, that "loving you is easy 'cause you're beautiful" song stuck in my head for about three months (thanks to south park and burger king)... i've never heard the song the entire way through (i'd commit suicide if i did) and i've heard it maybe ten times in my life... but... la la la la... la la la la... la la la la... la la... la la... la la... dood en dood ennnnennnnnnn doooooooodd... aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh... (aaaaaaaagh)... anyway... i've found the best way to get rid of a song stuck your head is to passs it on to coworkers... i've been singing this song out loud at work, quite often, until EVERYONE has it stuck in their head... it didn't get it out of my head (unortunately), but everyone is going around singing it softly to themselves... they hate me for it, but i'm not the only one suffering for the sins of the seventies... he he he... i am evil...
syd

What's yours?

Post 56

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble, .. when you're perfect in every way
I can't wait to look in the mirror, .... 'cause I get better lookin' each day
To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man
Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble, .. but I'm doing the best that I can

http://mysite.xtra.co.nz/~Humble/page1.html

is a bit of fun

What's yours?

Post 57

emnisted

For me- the childrens song "puff the magic dragon" always gets stuck in my head, same with "american pie" (expecially on long walks) and anything by the eels. Also that song that shouts out "GOLD! Always believe in your soul" (i don't know what it's called) is a good one for staying in your head for days on end.

What's yours?

Post 58

Kasia, P.S. of Syncopation,Muse of Classic Goo Fans, Keeper of Rainbows, Zaphodista (visit Crossed Purposes Pub: A429310)

Yes, that's the song, emnisted!

I think it's really stupid, it's from a band called 'Spandau Ballet' - terrible.

What's yours?

Post 59

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Spandau Ballet featuring resident Eastenders phyco Martin Kemp............and Gold does tend to get somewhat stuck.........

What's yours?

Post 60

The one that gets stuck in my head is "remember your a wombel, remember your a wombel, remember remember member what a womble womble wombling time" ?smiley - smiley
And of course the old version "over town under ground wombling free the womble of wimbolden common are we making good use of the things that we find the things that the everyday folks leave behind!!"
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH classics like that never go away............

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more