This is the Message Centre for Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Medical miracle

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I'm sharing this for those of my friends not in the UK and not part of any social media sites: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26784669

Even the BBC newsreaders struggled to maintain their composure when reporting on this lady. Imagine being profoundly deaf from birth then reaching 39 years of age, having a cochlear implant and finally being able to hear. I said to Ian last night, imagine the music she'll be playing. I'd recommend Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy and The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face by Roberta Flack, some harp music then the whole back catalogue of The Beatles. Ian said he'd play her some Bob Dylan.

I've always appreciated what I have and today I'm even more thankful that I've had all my senses for almost 60 years. My daughter HFH on social media yesterday posted: "We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."
Fredrick Koenig (1774-1833)

smiley - brave

Medical miracle

Post 2

Deb

It's a fab story, isn't it? Made me cry in the car when they played a clip of her starting to cry when the nurse was reading out the days of the week.

I suppose because I was listening to BBC Radio WM (local to Birmingham) there was quite a bit of chat about it. Apparently she won't hear "normally" like you or I do, it'll be more robotic, but her brain will adjust to make it sound better over a couple of months. I wonder how music will actually sound to her. But that's beside the point.

Because she's also partially sighted, her world must have been quite scary & isolated. Imagine sitting in a room alone and not being able to see or hear if anyone comes in. Not any more!

Wonderful, happy story in a world of often shocking, frequently miserable news.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Medical miracle

Post 3

Heleloo - Red Dragon Incarnate

What a loverly news piece, thank you for posting it smiley - ta

Medical miracle

Post 4

smiley - biggrin

You're welcomesmiley - cheerup

Medical miracle

Post 5

frenchbean

Oh my goodness: that's made me cry. Thank you GB smiley - ta for attaching the link. It puts all the stuff I think of as a hassle into some real perspective. We all need to be reminded from time to time.

Fb smiley - star

Medical miracle

Post 6

You're welcome Fbsmiley - hugsmiley - smooch

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more