This is the Message Centre for Sho - employed again!

Manchester meet - 18 February 2012

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

So it's 4 years ago today that I went, very spontaneously, to the Manchester meet. It was the day after my dad's funeral, the day before I was due to fly home and I really wasn't sure if I should go or not.

But my mum said I should, h2g2 said I should, smiley - chef said I should and so did the Gruesome Twosome. So I wrote stuff on a t-shirt in glitter glue and boarded the Transpennine Express to spend my first ever whole day in Manchester.

I met some old friends again, i met some old friends in RL for the first time and met some people I'd never encountered before. Everyone was lovely and as I see from what I wrote at the time I was hugged and squeezed like a lemon.

i smiley - love h2g2 smiley - kiss

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

h2g2 meets are nice events. It's hard to believe that it is 6 years since I met you and the others in Mannheim. Still haven't figured out the Mayan symbol on your pendant, which I said I'd do.

Post 3

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Both Mannheim and Manchester were great Meets and I always enjoy meeting old, and new, hootooers. Sadly there are fewer Meets and fewer hootooers to attend those Meets.

I miss the ones in Hull and Germany. Also the London ones, as I enjoyed planning something different to experience.

I don't know when the next will be, where it will be or even if I could attend.

I hope some year soon or I'll be too old, or unfit to travel.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 4

Superfrenchie

Nah. 2012 was a few weeks ago, tops.
smiley - erm
Wasn't it ?

Mannheim was my first ever Meet, it was quite an adventure !

MMF, if you can't travel, it'll just have to be at your place, that's all. smiley - hug

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I enjoyed meeting you too, Sho, although I would have preferred it if I could have spent more time with my friends instead of pleasing my (now ex-) partner smiley - rolleyes

I miss the ones in Hull and London and I always said I would try to make a meet in Germany when I could get away from my caring role. smiley - sigh maybe someday smiley - grovel

smiley - hugsmiley - kiss

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - towel

Post 6

GB, get one going in Hull or thereabouts. I'm up for it.
And, Superfrenchie, we can have a mini meet in June. Dates finalised. Will PM you later with dates.

Always up for a London one but there was little interest in the one I was planning for Sept 2015. So I didn't progress further. smiley - sadface

Always happy to organise one.

Have arranged ones at Kew, Museum of London, Strand tour, Tate Modern and sort of Imperial War Museum with Sol. Not sure where to plan next. Maybe the Southbank/Southwark environs. Plenty to see and do and easy access to the Shakespeare and Waterloo station plus reasonable ( I understand) hotels.

MMF
smiley - musicalnote

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

I'd love to come to a Hull or Cleethorpes meet, although it wpuld depend very much on the date. I'm sure we could persuade Moonhogg to come along although he hasn't been on the site in years.

Post 8

Was my favourite Meet as small, friendly, sociable with plenty to do.

Be great if Hoggy was there. And Prof and Scorps.

smiley - grovel

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

Somehow, when GB started her comment with

"I enjoyed meeting you too, Sho, although I would have preferred it if"

I thought she was going to continue

"you had been a nicer person."

smiley - biggrin

Post 10

smiley - yikes I *almost* wrote "...if I had been alone or with someone less grumpy" but decided against it considering everything that kicked off later. smiley - shrug meet

>>GB, get one going in Hull or thereabouts.<< Sorry MMF, I have no transport and no funds. Just another 5 years to go until I can claim the state pensionsmiley - whistlemeanwhile, carry on living on Carer's Allowance which is less than £2 an hour (what's that you say? Minimum wage? Hmmm... it's an allowance, not a wage...)

And, breathe... smiley - zen

Post 11

Wand'rin star

Dear GB
As you know, I greatly enjoyed the Hull meets and have long felt I should try to do something in Lincoln BUT, like you, I have neither money nor transport. I am presently living in fear that Lincolnshire will cut our rural bus services.(The meeting is today)smiley - starsmiley - star

Post 12

smiley - groan

smiley - goodluck

Post 13

coelacanth

Is it really 4 years! Yikes! That's the last meet I attended! My first was the first birthday in May 2000, A296372 .

However after not even being allowed to eat breakfast in Manchester without it becoming a photo 'opportunity' I doubt I'll ever go to another because I don't agree to the h2g2 privacy policy.
smiley - bluefish

Post 14

KB

Awww, Sho. I'll squeeze you like a lemon anytime! smiley - hugsmiley - tongueout

Reading your journal made me realise it's eight years since we met in Cologne. smiley - yikes Too long! I must do something about that.

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

Coelacanth, I didn't know that h2g2 had a policy on photographs. In my experience, photos are taken by researchers and published on the net with the permission of the person in the photo. I always ask. And no photos of minors. Or miners.

Post 16

Sho - employed again!

I was also unsure about the privacy policy on photos. I should probably check it out.

Post 17

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Pah! There's only one Manchester Meet worth mentioning: 4 through 9 June 2014 smiley - winkeye

But there may be another coming up. What say you, people?

smiley - pirate

Post 18

You can call me TC

KB, I would like to point out that you didn't come to Reims (July 2012) or Dublin (2013), although you had been thinking about it in both cases.smiley - bigeyes I'm beginning to think you're avoiding me. smiley - cry

Post 19

Sho - employed again!

after that meeting in Köln I'm terrified to go to the photobooth in the U-bahn just in case that cake is still there...

Post 20

coelacanth

Gnomon, Sho, there is no privacy policy. That's my point. Even if you request privacy the answer is very clear. Tough, you can't have it. No does not mean no, no matter how much you protest, the violation of privacy is still forced on you.

I've requested it in the past and been clearly told that if you attend meets you have to expect that kind of attention, even if you don't want it, because you were obviously asking for it by the very fact of your attendance, and are "fair game". #250
F22118095?thread=8284976&skip=240&show=20#p110562676

And it also seems acceptable to stalk someone, and sneakily steal what you want "on the fly" and then proudly offer to distribute offsite without the consent of the person concerned, or any regard to their feelings. #249
F22118095?thread=8284976&skip=240&show=20#p110562593

Requesting privacy is "daft" #1 F22123548?thread=8290595&skip=0&show=20

Private photos, taken without permission and sometimes without knowledge, will be distributed anyway to anyone who asks. #32 F134192?thread=8290387&skip=20&show=20#p110569611

h2g2's always been a place where as a community we've avoiding making fun of people because of their disability, gender, sexuality, skin colour or ethnicity, but seemingly some approve of the acceptable pastime of laughing and name calling anyone who requests privacy, and then still willfully ignore the request.
smiley - shrug
smiley - bluefish

Key: Complain about this post