This is the Message Centre for Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Gnomon calling Galaxy Babe

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm sorry if my comments upset you or anyone else. They weren't intended to be insulting.

I know you've had a rough time recently. I shouldn't have reacted when you snapped at me. Since you never took me off your friends list, I've added you back to mine.

smiley - smiley

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thank you.
smiley - biggrin
You're the one I want to ask when I need something double-checking, and I was wondering whether I was still your preferred sub-ed on your Uni project, which I still intend to honoursmiley - ok

Excuse me while I give you a big smiley - hug

*squeezes*

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - hug

Post 4

I have sent you an email but am not sure it's the correct address (the indigo account)

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

I still use the indigo account, but I won't be able to check it until this evening. If you send it to [email protected] I'll be able to check it immediately.

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

I'd be delighted if you would be the sub-editor for my Byzantium project.

Post 7

OK I've sent the email smiley - smiley

It'll be my pleasure, I'm still subbing Opti's "Paul McCartney" so after I finish that I won't ask for any more articles to sub from the Editors - just let me know when you're ready for me to start your projectsmiley - ok

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

So I've written out of the 10 entries in the Byzantium project. At what stage do I submit the project? Do I have to have finished them all?

Post 9

I was given laconian's Uni project when he had finished, I subbed them then they were placed in PR for a minimum of a week. I'm not sure whether you need to have finished them all, but if you submit then give a finishing date, that kinda puts you under pressure to finish. I'd say work at your own speed, less chance of mistakes. Or you could drop an email by the Eds and ask for clarification, which is probably the best idea.smiley - smiley

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I've written 7 out of the 10. One of the remaining 3 is a short one, and one is the overview, so I've only really one major one left to right. So I'll certainly get it finished over Christmas.

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

... left to write ...smiley - blush

Post 12

smiley - biggrin

My online time is severly limited now my son has finished school but if I get up early enough I have a few hours each morning while he has his teenage lie-insmiley - ok

Post 13

I'm done with Opti's "Paul McCartney"smiley - cdouble

A16932297

Before I return it I'd be grateful if you'd go over it and let me know of any glaring errors.smiley - smiley

Thank yousmiley - towel

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

Annie, I seriously suggest that you turn down the job of subbing any future entries from Opti if they are of this standard.

through his work with 1960s band The Beatles -- I'd say "the 1960s band"

Header: Love -- this doesn't seem to bear any relation to the section it is the header of. I'd change it to something more relevant.

the 11 September terrorist attacks -- although House Style says "11 September", Jimster has said that the phrase "September 11" is so universally known that it is preferred.

impressed by Paul McCartney --> impressed with Paul McCartney

the left-handed (and therefore upside-down) bass guitarist -- I suggest you remove the phrase in brackets, as Paul did not play upside-down. He could, but he didn't.

untrue as they met at the launch party -- this is a typical piece of Opti writing, jumping from one thing to another. You should expand it: "the rumour is groundless as they met..."

"Paul adopted Linda's daughter Heather Louise from her first marriage, and the couple went on to have three children together: Mary Anna (in 1969), Stella Nina (in 1971) and James Louis (in 1977), all of whom went on to feature somehow in their father's work. Heather appears as a young girl in the Let It Be film and can be heard singing on 'Bungalow Bill' on The White Album3. Mary is the baby on the back cover photograph of her father's first solo album. Stella is an award-winning fashion designer and an animal rights activist. James plays the guitar on his father's latest albums." -- this paragraph will need to be sorted, as it says that each of the four children featured in their father's work, but only lists three of them, choosing instead to tell us about Stella's own work independent of her father.

The quote about slaughterhouses is in completely the wrong place. It should be moved to somewhere more appropriate. Perhaps just before the Simpsons section.

In reality, Paul had been involved in a motorcycle accident on Wednesday 9 November -- this is very dull as stated. It would really read much better if you changed it to:

In fact, Paul had been in an accident, on Wednesday, 9 November, 1966, but it involved a motorcycle, and he survived.

To accompany this conspiracy the album Abbey Road was released -- the entry hasn't said anything about a conspiracy yet, so this bit is incongruous. Perhaps you could check with Opti what she is talking about.

the ideology that Paul was dead -- that's an idea, not an ideology

Paul created Paul is Live --> Paul created the Paul is Live album

however it also pictured --> however, it also pictured

"The band remained nameless until the day Paul was inspired during a contemplative moment of praying for his wife and their baby. He recounts that an image of wings came into his head. The line-up changed a number of times; originally consisting of Paul (Bass Guitar, Lead Vocals), Linda (Piano, Vocals), Denny Laine (Guitar), and Denny Seiwell (Drums). During Wing's lifetime," -- that's not a good introduction to Wings, as she doesn't say the name of the band. You should say:

"He recounts that an image of wings came into his head, so he decided to call the band 'Wings'."

a number of times; originally consisting of -- change the semicolon to a comma

"taking marijuana into Japan was a capital offence" -- I don't think so. A capital offence is one with the death penalty.

"Ebony and Ivory. Live together in perfect harmony. Side by side on my piano keyboard. Oh Lord, why don't we?" -- I somehow think that doubt that all those full stops should break up the sentence like that.

people were becoming disinterested in his work -- disinterested means "able to give an impartial opinion" so it is the wrong word. YOu should say "losing interest in his work".

an honorary doctorate by Sussex University -- not by, from

has even been released on album --> has even been released as an album

"won the world's first Swedish Polar Music Award, a Nobel prize for music, and debut of his animated short film Daumier's Law" -- he didn't win debut of his animated short film! THis should be:

won the world's first Swedish Polar Music Award, and a Nobel prize for music, and saw the debut of his animated short film Daumier's Law

But I don't believe there is such a thing as a Nobel prize for music, so again you should check with Opti.

in keeping to the traditional. --> in keeping to the tradition.

Paul's solo piano piece A Leaf world premiered -- you don't need the word world there.

New Years Eve --> New Year's Eve

Linda McCartney products -- since this is the first time these have been mentioned, there should be a footnote saying what they are.

at Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew --> at the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew

60s black civil rights song --> 1960s black civil rights song

Paul released the dvd --> Paul released the DVD

"he became the first person to have a music concert beamed into outer space" -- I'm extremely suspicious of this, since every concert since radio broadcasting began has been beamed into space. But I suppose I'll let it go.smiley - smiley

They say 'we've been doing it for 500 years', but that doesn't make it justifiable.
- Paul McCartney

-- It's not at all clear what this quote is talking about. If you know, you should explain it beside Paul's name:

- Paul McCartney, talking about --whatever--

smiley - smiley

I think that's enough reading of Opti entries for one year.

Post 15

Haha!
I thought I'd finished!smiley - laugh
Here's the original: A5972718

I *really* don't want to liaise with Opti. There was so much stuff in the wrong place, quotes I've removed which were completely irrelevant, duplications I've deleted, etc., I doubt she'd recognise the entry anyway. It's been through the Flea Market a couple of times I believe and was started off by other authors, so she can't take all the blame.

<> as was I. It'll go.
I've never heard of a Nobel prize for music either, I suspect it's a comparison to the Swedish polar award.

smiley - erm
I will make these changes you've given me (thank you) and recommend the Eds give it a good going-over as well.

smiley - tea

I'm not requesting any more entries to sub until after I've subbed your Uni project.smiley - smiley

Post 16

I've done everything except:

<>

as the attacks are mentioned several times (and as 9/11 which I was unsure of) so would you like me to change all of them to September 11?

Post 17

Gnomon - time to move on

In that case leave them as they are. Since I didn't notice the others, no one else will.

Post 18

smiley - ok

I've asked Ormondroyd if all the things he pointed out on a previous PR thread have been attended to, and am awaiting his response. Then I'll return it if everything's ok now.smiley - smiley

Thanks again for all your help.
smiley - hug

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

I've spotted another problem with the Paul McCartney entry: some of the external links don't have proper titles. There's one that comes up in the right margin as "concert" and another that is "painting".

Post 20

Yes, I know. I did so many, that I got a bit smiley - cdouble

They will be attended to before I return it so thanks for the reminder.smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post