A Conversation for Gliding

This entry needs correcting

Post 1

Discobolus

Firstly it is difficult to know why anyone would rely this rather than the better article in Wikipedia. For example, there is much more history before WW2. Gliding started with Otto Lillienthal and the Wright Brothers though really got going in Germany in the 1920s and 1930s before spreading worldwide. The point about the mass availability of components is odd. The Colditz Cock was built by the prisoners without any components. There is nothing in early gliders that could not have been used to build an identical glider 100 years earlier.

Both the absolute altitude record of 15,460m and the distance record of 3,009km were done in South America. Typical European flights on good days are 500km in out-and-returns, triangles or double out-and returns. Aerokurier On-Line Contest reports many European flights like this each year and some up to 1000km

No, I am not constantly scanning the ground for fields, only when I start getting low, say 300m above the ground over flat land, though higher if over more hostile terrain. Golf courses are one of the worst places to land because there are always people on them. First choice is another airfield or a farmer's private strip, after that the best choices are: cut silage fields, empty pasture or stubble fields after harvest. Many gliders these days have retractable engines to get you home though you still need to have chosen a field in case the engine doesn't start.

There is so much more to describe such as how to fly quickly round long cross-country tasks and then how to do it competitively. Gliding is one of the most absorbing sports.

Because it is impossible to have paying spectators or to televise gliding competitions, the sport is entirely amateur and not widely known even though there are over 100,000 active pilots around the world. It is much cheaper than power flying and it is much more satisfying to cover a long distance without an engine, usually faster than you could do it in a car.

It is enjoyed by people from 12 years old to those well in to their 80s. After landing you often wonder how five or six hours have passed so quickly. You never stop learning

This entry needs correcting

Post 2

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Welcome Discobolus to H2G2

The good news is that as a registered Researcher you can offer an update to any Entry you read here.

If you follow the links in the Update Forum A87727936 you can either offer suggested changes to the original Entry, or write your own version and submit it to Peer Review.

Unlike Wikipedia, we welcome original Writing and and your own view of the subject.

As a 'US' American I would consider most of this Entry to be about 'Sail Planes', not sure if this is also a European term smiley - erm.

On a personal note my Father was a member of the 17th Airborne in WWII and was certified to (and did) go into combat in glider aircraft towed into the battle zone.

Good to see a new member and I hope you can find a place in our community.

An official ACE (Community Assistant Editor) should be along shortly to give you a proper welcomesmiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more