A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 481

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

These days I hug because everybody seems to expect me to. But it is an empty gesture most of the time and I ask myself why we started all this hugging about 20 years ago. This December my oldest friend and I will have known each other for 50 years. We never hugged the first 30 of them - why start now smiley - huh

Also: It's a bloody (!) nuisance when I accidentally puncture peoples backs and lungs with my hook smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Post 482

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Have you lost that hypoallergenic cork for your hook - - - again?

Post 483

SashaQ - happysad

"With hugs I always worry about shoulder-to-chin clashes; I've got very clumsy shoulders..."

Ah, yes, that is another challenge, especially for two people of different heights, but one that was successfully avoided smiley - ok

Post 484

Baron Grim

When we all live on off world colonies in Zero-G with no definitive "up", we'll have to worry about collisions between many various body parts.

Post 485

SashaQ - happysad

"Maybe I wasn't cuddled enough as an infant. But I've never been comfortable with personal contact and intimacy and will, no doubt, die alone."

I spent a lot of time in physiotherapy for several years as a child, so after that I wasn't keen on personal contact because it was associated with unpleasantness until my partner reached out to me and I reached out to her... smiley - cuddle

Now I'm happier with hugs because it means someone doesn't think I'm an unpleasantness and it is a pleasant gesture of mutual friendship and support.

It is interesting who does/doesn't hug in my acquaintance, though, so there are a lot of rules around it, but asking is always good.

Post 486

Baron Grim

smiley - smiley

Post 487

The first time in memory that my mother hugged me - it surprised hell outta me. I was just turned 40, and volunteered to carry a corner of her mother's burial casket. My in-laws, on the other hand, they are a completely huggy family. Coming on 29 years married, I am almost used to it. smiley - winkeye

Post 488

Rosemary {[(2+2+2)^2]+4+2=42}

I like hugs, thankfully G does too.

*settles down on a sofa to watch the Olympics* Or at least those portions of the Olympics that are at a sensible time in the UK. (So all the athletics and swimming finals are out. smiley - sadface )

Post 489

Todaymueller

Overrated ; hugging IMOsmiley - hug
Saw Macbeth Friday, very good, really enjoyed the play and production. The Globe is a great venue.
With a few hours to kill before the start of the play I had a look round the new Tate modern extension next door. All in all it was a good day out.

Post 490

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I enjoyed visiting the ship 'Golden Hind' that is located between the Globe and Tower Bridge.

If you are in the area it is worth the time and money to visit the ship of Sir Francis Drake - even though it is only a reproduction.

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 491

SiliconDioxide

What hoe! I have slain the milkweed. Quick! Fetch a bucket for the entrails.

Post 492

Baron Grim

And the Monarchs did weep.

Post 493

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

*pours out small amount of smiley - tea in remembrance of fallen milkweeds*

*sips remaining smiley - tea*

[G7]

Post 494

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Had an excellent mini meet with Marv and Amy P yesterday!

Post 495

Beeblefish

Awesome! Tell us all the details!

Post 496

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Got hugs, got a tour of the hackerspace (gave Marv a hard time for not telling me that hackerspace is *not* the name on the doorsmiley - tongueout), sat around and talked for 2-3 hours (well, Tom did more talking than I did, but that's normal anyway), had a demonstration of sibling rivalry...

Post 497

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Sounds like a grand time was had by all! smiley - biggrin

*sips smiley - tea*

[G7]

Post 498

[RNick - forced to suffer Chinese buffet with old friends]

Post 499

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Chinese buffeteering has one upside: You can eat again only one hour later smiley - zen

smiley - pirate

Post 500

Pastey

Morning all. Today sees the brewery tap open on a Friday as well as a Saturday. We've been opening on the first Saturday of the month for a while now, built up some regulars who come along each month for several hours, have got to know each other and generally have a good time.
But we're taking the bar one step further and opening it every weekend now. Each Friday from 4pm (although we're opening at 2pm today) and Saturday from noon, both until 10:30pm. We're hoping that as the first brewery in Manchester to do this (another brewery is open every weekend, but you have to book (they do walk-ins, kinda) and purchase a "tasting tour" with fixed amounts of drinks and glass included) we'll be able to catch the beer zeitgeist in Manchester and turn it into a bit of a tourist destination, with people visiting the city coming along and being able to enjoy just walking in, buying however much of whatever beer they like, from a third to several pints, and being able to sit in the brewery itself enjoying it. And being served by the people who own and run the place, rather than just someone employed to man the bar.
We've used this element so far, and I think that's why the tap has been doing pretty well. Now we just need it to do better smiley - winkeye

The one downside of all this... no more weekends off! smiley - wah

Not that I've had any of those recently anyway.
(Going to wedding doesn't count)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more