A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 321

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Beeb, I see a forceable future as one where I am chained to a desk answering phone calls from people who want me to reset passwords to accounts they are unsure they have correct usernames to match.

I may be a bit low on the coffee this morning.

Post 322

Pastey

15 years ago today Douglas Adams passed away smiley - sadface

Post 323

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”

― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

smiley - pirate

Post 324

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Hi, beeblefish!
I've asked the team to go search the mailbox. Perhaps you could also put a note up at http://h2g2.com/entry/A395697 ?

smiley - towel

Post 325

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Also, go have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqON-0YC1g for a bit of visionary DNA

smiley - towel

Post 326

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Hi, Beeblefish,
I've check through the emails (and deleted a load of spam) but nothing at all in the inbox from you. Very odd.

You have used the correct addy, mind, so maybe you could resend and I'll keep my eye out for it?

Mags

Post 327

Baron Grim

Heh... I freeze framed at this:

http://youtu.be/uMqON-0YC1g?t=3m52s

and after a brief search found this:

F66?thread=151

Note that it seems Peta corrected her "Resturant" typo at some point after that episode aired.

smiley - laugh

Post 328

Only in the title. The text still reads "One of the best resturants in Tooting..." smiley - biggrin

It's nice to see I'm not the only one mikang typos smiley - silly

smiley - pirate

Post 329

Beeblefish

Thanks Milla, Magwitch! I have resent it just now and also posted the request as a conversation on the subeditor's page as you suggested, that way it can't get lost! So weird, I wonder if my email address is being rejected for some reason. Here is the link to the request on the sub page that way it can't get lost: http://h2g2.com/entry/A395697/conversation/view/F48888/T8316056 Anyone else who expressed interest in the topic, please feel free to check it out too!

Post 330

Beeblefish

God. I can't believe it's been 15 years. I still remember where I was when I heard, and I still have a cutout of the newspaper announcement. To echo something Neil Gaiman said when he turned 50 (how he couldn't believe how he was then older than Douglas, when Douglas had always been older than him) I think if this a a lot now that I'm over 40. It's weird but when Douglas died I felt like now it was my turn to become serious about writing, because he no longer could. Like I owed it to him. And now his daughter is on my twitter. We seriously live in the future he helped conceive of and dream. Including h2g2.

Post 331

Beeblefish

BG thanks for posting that! Amazing.

Post 332

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, that is an awesome link - I really enjoyed watching it, as I didn't see it at the time. Great to see Douglas and the birth of h2g2 in action!

Post 333

Beeblefish

I had never seen it either! No doubt if YouTube had existed in those days it would have been all over hootoo.

In other news, the version of my request up on the sub forum has gotten a response! I've been granted permission to post my my Call for Participation and have contacted the Post about setting this up and Researcher5 has offered to lend his insights too, so I'm pretty jazzed from my sick couch. I'll post a link here when it is up. smiley - smiley

Post 334

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Hope you feel better soon but glad you've had exciting news to read while you're resting! smiley - tea

Post 335

marvthegrate LtG KEA

The video for my talk is now up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2zt69VGs-4

Post 336

Beeblefish

Looks great Marv! Nice to put a face to a name. smiley - smiley A bit over my head but I'm quite interested in learning the more technical end of computing again after years of lapse knowledge. I took the first course in an online Game Design specialization this summer and was doing some very rudimentary programming in C# and was like, wow, this is not BASIC. Sounds fascinating!

Post 337

Dizzy H. Muffin

smiley - flan

Post 338

Pastey

I think I'm going to need a big comfy chair in a dark corner until the UK's EU Referendum is over, mind if I take this one?

I don't mind if people want in, I don't mind if they want out, but it's annoying me when people are reposting (or even creating) dodgy statistics as though they're incontrovertible facts.
I saw one this morning that was saying we should leave because Britain was in a stronger financial position before it joined the EU...than it is in now. Well, er, almost every country was in a stronger position before all the financial crisis. But also, Britain joined the European Community in 1973, and it wasn't exactly in a strong financial position then.

As I say, I don't mind people wanting in or out, but it's the lack of knowledge and the reposting of dodgy facts (lies) that leads me to wanting a comfy chair.

Post 339

What irks me is that the rest of the EU isn't asked if we want the UK to stay smiley - cross

smiley - pirate

Post 340

Pastey

But of course you do! smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post