A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

10AXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 241

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

I'm flying to Ireland later today to attend and present at a librariany conference. First time in Ireland, first time at this particular conference and first time speaking at a national (international?) level. 3-day conference and my paper is on the afternoon of the third day, which seems cruel to me.

Post 242

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

You are allowed to speak in a library?

smiley - pirate

Post 243

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I'm thinking that presenting at a library conference would be quite nice. No back-talk or embarrassing pointing out of inconvenient details that can't be dealt with by a and a smiley - shhh

Post 244

smiley - laughsmiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Post 245

Malabarista - now with added pony

I appear to have promised the owner of this lovely salon a visit if I ever manage to get back on to hootoo, so here I am!

Post 246

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Yes! There you are! smiley - boing
smiley - towel

Post 247

If you say so, I suppose I must believe you, Ms smiley - winkeye

Stable Boy, look to the lady's smiley - pony while we drink a welcome smiley - pggb

smiley - pirate

Post 248

Just don't give the smiley - pggb to smiley - pony, or hilarity may ensue on the ride home...

Post 249

I woldn't dare. Having a hangover and not being able to vomit must be the worst curse smiley - yikes

smiley - pirate

Post 250

Library conferences are very supportive, yes, but you do still get challenged if you talk nonsense. smiley - winkeye

Had a great time and my presentation went well. I have exchanged contact details with a few folks who want to follow up on my paper. I now need to work on some sort of publication from it - this was already strongly suggested by my boss, but echoed at conference. This Would be my first journal article - I get the impression that librarians in the US do a lot more publishing than we do in the UK.

Post 251

Bluebottle

Nonsense was my favourite section of the library - Edward Lear, Lewis Carroll, Spike Milligan and John Lennon to name but a few...

<BB<

Post 252

These days, the nonsense is spread around in pretty much all areas of the collection. We then try to teach people how to spot the nonsense. smiley - silly

Post 253

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Like political science, self-help, and my all-time favorite publication, How to Avoid Huge Ships?

Glad you finally got here, Mala! Welcome back.

My cold finally abated, but some of the old men on the hall who also caught it are really suffering. The heavy winds we're having make it worse for some because their allergies are kicking in. And we have a plague of tumbleweeds!

Post 254

I have an open question for the folks of the Atelier.

I'm thinking of trying to visit my only child, and finally meet my 3rd grand-child. The distance is about 1,950 air-km or 3,000 road-km. Obviously, flying would be faster than 36 to 38 hours of driving, but both pose a problem. Since congestive heart failure pounced on me, even with regular meds and having a defibrillator/pace-keeper in my chest, either method is a problem. The pump group is now rated about 50% of normal.

Has anyone 1st or 2nd hand knowledge of the difficulties of air-travel with such a condition? I already experience oxygen deprivation to major muscle groups, and I understand O2 is even less readily consumed in pressurized craft ...

Post 255

ITIWBS

I would apply to the airline for information.

Its not for nothing that airline stewardesses are always qualified nurses.

Post 256

What? Why would they be nurses? They have basic first aid training, that's it.

Post 257

Beeblefish

(Catching up)

Glad the presentation went well Marv!

Glad the cold is better Lil!

David B, from a fellow academic type, push the paper out to a journal as soon as you can and before you are completely happy with it. That is my big issue that I am now trying to get over, I am sitting on a pile of papers that I don't feel are ready yet, and will never feel like that. BUT that is what peer review is for. Get the paper to maybe what you personally feel is 80% and then put it out there. The reviewers will tell you if it is ready and if not what it needs (allowing you to focus the last 20% of effort on what the reviewers think you might need.

Post 258

Beeblefish

Also, Rev Nick I don't really know but I would ask your doctor. Also also, you're in Canada? Me too! Where are you? I'm in Scarborough, which is just near Toronto if you don't know the area.

Post 259

I've a bit east of you, Beeble. Trenton.

I've looked over Air Canada 'policies', which are entirely vague. Mostly leaving it up to the passenger to advise ahead, and do what they can to alleviate any distress once underway. That's why I was asking about a bit - has anyone with a 'condition' had problems with minimal oxygen intake, etc.

Post 260

My brother was told to contact his physician and insurance company because his condition might be considered so severe that he would have to fly on his own risk, i.e. without any insurance to cover expenses should the worst happen and his plane would be forced to land or something

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more