A Conversation for Southern USA Burial Customs

Huh?

Post 1

Saint Taco-Chako (P.S. of mixed metaphors)

I'm from southern Kentucky, I've buried two grandparents and numerous anunts and uncles, and I've never heard of this.

Huh?

Post 2

CrazyPagan

My family is from south-eastern KY, I don't recall this either...but I have seen it in GA and OH. I remember still having wakes though when I was little in the mid 70's. I wonder if any other places do that anymore? I know that area was heavily settled by the Irish and Scots, and I know they USED to do it...anyone know?

Huh?

Post 3

ouiskiandzoda

Heck, yeah. The wake seems more to the point than the memorial service, anyway. I was raised close to a large Welsh family, and they have wakes, still (2006). The wake seems a better way to remember the person as they were, since the memorial service all too often begins with "although I did not have the privilege of knowing..." One concession to the fast pace of modern life is that the wake does not continue more than about 5-6 hours, and no one actually gets so drunk they can't stay standing. This is probably because we all seem to have jobs to return to (fortunately).

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Southern USA Burial Customs

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more