bobstafford

You have been paying your rates againsmiley - laugh

Meaninglee thread that only grumpy geezers can properly understand

Post 3242

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

We should alert the media. smiley - bigeyes

Post 3243

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

yeah why not! smiley - laugh

Post 3244

Baron Grim

http://youtu.be/RcqgGj66Dfo

Post 3245

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

We should make Hobson an honorary member of this grumpy old geezer's society

smiley - pirate

Post 3246

I don't think he's alive any more. Nor, for that matter, is Arthur/Dudley Moore.

Post 3247

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

If they were vegetarians we could make them honorary members post hummus

smiley - pirate

Post 3248

I don't know about vegetarianism, but Dudley Moore signed a "say no to furs" petition in 1989.

Moore was co-owner of a trendy restaurant called Maple Drive. After he died, a vegan restaurant moved into the space.

Post 3249

Icy North

I have a social conscience - I only eat herbivores.

Post 3250

Baron Grim

That's a pita.

Post 3251

"I have a social conscience - I only eat herbivores.' [Icy North]

Pigs are omnivores, so you wouldn't eat them?

Post 3252

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

ahh I am back on line......... sat in the tent, listing to the wind and the rain on the fly sheet, laptop on my lap, watching a film, the missus sleeping on the bed! Bliss, can't wait for tomorrowsmiley - smiley

Post 3253

Will it still be raining tomorrow?

Post 3254

bobstafford

Somewhere yes!

Post 3255

It's been blowing a gale here in cornwall, the tent is really good, nice and dry also not bending to much, last night down pour it kept us nice and dry too, the wind up radio is working well as is the eleccy hook up, the charging of the laptop phones, use of the fan heater, and light just perfick! so into the weekend.......... smiley - biggrin

Post 3256

Sounds like you're enjoying yourself. smiley - ok

Post 3257

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyethat's co's the tents put up in the front roomsmiley - laugh

Post 3258

bobstafford

Tent pegs ruin the shag pile smiley - biggrin

Post 3259

Is Cornwall near Cornrow?

We have a row of eight cornstalks here in the Park. It's a decorative breed of corn -- Indian corn, with different colored kernels. No sign of tassels so far, though.

Post 3260

ITIWBS

One of my favorite gardening projects, ornamental indian corn.

Working with small plantings, hand pollination is a must to get full ears.

Technique I used was to fold a sheet of typing paper precisely in half, making a sharp crease in the middle, even bending it back and forth a couple of times along the crease to make paper more manageable.

Next, bend the tassels gently over the collecting paper in still air conditions and tap gently with a finger tip on the stem supporting the tassels to shake loose pollen grains onto the collecting paper.

Next, hold the collecting paper inclined over any available silks, any plant and tap gently on the back of the crease to shake pollen grains onto the silks until all the silks have a light dusting of pollen.

Finally, tap any excess pollen into a ziplock plastic bag and it can be stored in the refrigerator 24 - 72 hrs before it goes stale, depending on conditions of humidity.

While the pollen is still fresh, there's a static electrical repulsion that operates between the separate pollen grains.

When it goes stale, the static electrical repulsion disappears and the pollen grains mat together.

At this stage, the corn pollen, if there's enough to make it worth the bother, can be used like or added to bee pollen, but is no longer viable for pollination.

Indian corn (or 'seed corn'), however desirable it may be for commercial plantings of hybrid corn, rarely produces male and female flowers simultaneously on the same plant, a natural device for assuring cross pollination.

Indian corn, like squashes, is extremely saprophytic, can absorb high volumes of undecomposed organic nutrients through it roots.

Planting a fish or table scraps native American style under its roots, with a thin layer of sheilding earth in between, when sprouts are set out makes for much more robust ears.

Bat or pig guano works almost as well as undecomposed foodstuffs.

Cooking with Indian corn: if its not to be milled, parched or popped, it needs to be malted first, presoaked in a covered container in the refrigerator 3 - 4 days, until it begins to smell like sweet corn, then boiled till tender for whole grain hominy with the B-vitamins rich hulls, bran, still on it.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for bobstafford

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more