A Conversation for Heavy Metal

Donnington

Post 21

MillieColemanMillard

Vixen were cool? Are you absolutely sure about that statement - don't tell me, you liked Femme Fatale as well eh? - think I can gauge where you're coming from! (excuse the pun)

Donnington

Post 22

SMURF

Vixen had a certain get up and bop appeal but I wouldn't say I was their biggest fan. Girls School were also alright, in the right setting. When it boils down to it I'll like anything if I'm drunk enough.

Donnington

Post 23

Modest Mart

I agree the Metal revival is long overdue and I know showers does go against the idea of getting filthy but there is nothing worse than trying to head band when your hair is full of crap gathered from sleeping on the floor because you were so drunk and couldn't care!!

Germany will bring back Metal, indeed America is having a bit of a revival itself and because Britain is full of brainwashed American wanabees, Metal should come back too.

All I have to say is keep the faith, there are many good European/American bands out there, some from the 80's and some new ones and sooner or later Metal will get the break it long deserves.

Vixen

Post 24

Modest Mart

Vixen are a titty band. However I admit that unlike many of their counter parts, they can play.

Can anyone answer the question of when will there be a popular female metal band. The closest is girls in men dominated bands, like White Zombie and Coal Chamber.

I would just like to see one that was up their with Slayer and Sepultura etc.

The Best Metal Band

Post 25

parm

No way. Boghead are the greatest. Anyone living in the Norwich, Norfolk area should go along to Fat Pauly's and check them out.,

The Best Metal Band

Post 26

Modest Mart

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion!

If you ask me all Metal bands are the best!

The Best Metal Band

Post 27

SMURF

Do we include the glam metal thing in the sweeping statement of all metal bands are the best? And what about the really cheesey stuff like Blue Oyster Cult?

The Best Metal Band

Post 28

MadMunk?¿

Metal is starting to come back, but a lot of american bands are mixing the Heavy sound with Rap, which, if you ask me, is a load of crap. As for decent Metal Festivals in Europe, what about Ozzfest UK? That should be a bit of a laff....

The Best Metal Band

Post 29

Modest Mart

Being a Warrior of Metal I have to defend all those who flock under it's banner, there are too many people pulling Metal down, why should I add to its hummiliation?

Metal is fantastic and there is no other music form like it. In answer to your question Yes I would if they claimed to be Metal and not glam.

The Best Metal Band

Post 30

Modest Mart

I agree and both counts, Metal is coming back in America and in Europe it goes from strength to strength, Italy, Greese and Turkey the latest countries to fall under its spell.

As for Ozz Fest, it is a breath of fresh air but still a long way off Europe's festival and the shear amount of them.

The Best Metal Band

Post 31

SMURF

Do I take it then that Gemini, that "group" consisting of twins who looked like timote girls, would get your approval?

And don't get me wrong, I quite like some of the glam metal stuff, if only for the nostalgia these days.

Did you know I was the president of the rock soc while at uni? Well, realy it was the cheesey rock soc and we made a point of getting as much jukebox play to the cheesiest of tracks, like Eye of the Tiger and other such lovelies. Those were the days!!

The Best Metal Band

Post 32

MillieColemanMillard

Wow - Eye of the Tiger - that was the first single I bought. Survivor; what a band, what haircuts!

Ahh, it's easy to mock at what was then isn't it, except to say that I was wearing flares at the time myself (the really trendy ones with butterfly patches on) - lovely!

The Best Metal Band

Post 33

SMURF

The Ace of Spades was good for getting all the trendies to leave the bar!

The Best Metal Band

Post 34

The Wisest Fool

My old schoolmate, known only as 'S', played in a band called Powercrazed in the local Methodist Hall barndance and dedicated their 200 mph cover of The Ace of Spades to Nelson Mandela. He meant well.

The Best Metal Band

Post 35

Modest Mart

Anything Metal is good at getting trendies to leave the hall! (Good old Manowar) And talking about anti social music, have you heard Testaments latest! Wow, The Gathering is by far one of the best albums I have heard this year. When you listen to it for the first time, at the end you almost feel bruised by its power and aggression.

The Gathering will make trendies leave and the bar staff.

The Best Metal Band

Post 36

SMURF

Now if the bar staff leave that means you can serve yourself right?

The Best Metal Band

Post 37

Modest Mart

Let's not go there.

Even if you couldn't (locked up the bar or something) just think of all the drinks left behind. (Now you got me thinking)

But what I ask myself (looking at the title) has this got to do with The Best Metal Band?

Perhaps drinking lots has everything to do with Metal!

The Best Metal Band

Post 38

The Wisest Fool

Metal? All that screaming and long hair and swearing and noise?
Yuk.
Give me a pair of fluffy, comfy slippers and a nice mug of warm cocoa and a cosy rug in front of the fireplace and let me settle down to some cheery Perry Como.
And a young virgin to garotte.
ha hA Ha HA...chew...gorge...slurp.
Ahh so peaceful now my child.

Donnington

Post 39

Si

I'm tipping Maiden to headline a revived Donnington 2000. They should be touring in the UK next year and I can't see Dickinson letting a gig like that slip by.

The Best Metal Band

Post 40

SMURF

I think you found yourself in the wrong forum there me old chum!

I used to get picked on a lot in my A-level music class for my love of metal. I just wish people weren't so narrow minded. And you shouldn't knock it unless you've tried it.

Key: Complain about this post