This is the Message Centre for coelacanth

Millennium Dome

Post 1

coelacanth

I have mixed feelings about the Dome. A truly wonderful and beautiful structure, but what is in it....................... Hmmm (still thinking).
With my teacher hat on (see, I have one too) the organisers could learn from places like the Natural History Museum about handling the arrival and departure of large groups. Colour coding the benches and lockers would be a very good place to start. Putting the final details in the post before hand and not handing it out on arrival would have been extremely helpful.
Staff inside were friendly, approachable and enthusiastic.
The whole day went well - nobody lost or drowned, and all timing worked out too.
I suppose the very personal impression I am left with now is that the Dome might have a heart (Body Zone), but it has no soul. The boat trip along the river only drew this out more.

Millennium Dome

Post 2

Phil

So, would you pay to go and see it? (aside from a school trip)
A couple of friends also said that in the end they were a bit under whelmed by it.

Millennium Dome

Post 3

coelacanth

Pay? Not now I know what is in it. Underwhelmed is a good way to describe how I felt too. I do have to say that we could not take in the whole 'experience'. The space is very *busy* apart from the Zones but we couldn't stop to look. We had no queues and on the day were given unlimited access so I just flew round like a mad thing trying to get my group through as many Zones. No break or a sit down to just take it all in.
I would perhaps like to go back as an adult if the tickets were not so expensive. (I buy a lottery ticket and pay taxes - I've paid already!) Under the circumstances it isn't possible to. I would wander round outside too if I went as 'me'. I didn't get a chance to take in the sculpures outside apart from a brief look at the Anthony Gormley. (I've been watching it on the web cam). There is also a Richard Wilson and Anish Kapoor somewhere but we were back on the coach for the boat trip from Greenwich Pier. This was my personal touch to the day as organiser and was much appreciated by my team of staff as we couldn't lose anybody and there was tea for sale!
I went outside and breathed in the atmoshphere of the Thames. The Dome has no atmosphere.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for coelacanth

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more