A Conversation for MASH: A General Overview

Canned Laughter

Post 1

Joolsee

In the U.K. M*A*S*H ran without the laugh track. To my mind this suited the dark nature of much of the humour very well. We did get the occassional "laughed-up" episode, and this always seemed to take the show down a notch. Great show, withor without the tinned giggles.

BTW, was Clinger the first positive portrayal of a transvestite (for whatever reason) on a mainstream show, or did Jodie (of Soap) beat him to it?

Canned Laughter

Post 2

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

I don't know enough about Soap to answer that question. I don't mind the canned laughs, and most of the time I can't tell that it's canned, except on the occasion that the laugher takes place where there can't possibly be an audience.

Klinger wasn't *really* a transvestite. He was a man who wore dresses to convince the army that he was a transvestite smiley - winkeye In the later seasons, he was also the show's best romantic lead!

~Irving

Canned Laughter

Post 3

Pope Edgar Montgomery 3rd, Lord of all that's heavy and electric (and ANARCHY), now not grooming for 1 week+ as a statement, and

I don't know enough about Klinger to know about his romantic lead but howcome he's been married twice! Once in an episode towards the end of the series and once near the beggining where it's a big thing because they do it over radio. Shame on him!

Canned Laughter

Post 4

daraline, keeper of unusual rats and deranged hamsters

he got divorced from laverne over the radio too, half way through the series run.

xxsmiley - peacedove

Canned Laughter

Post 5

Anarchist in the U.K- I'm not a hippy, Its just a nickname

Ah. That must be it. I saw a good episode today when they all have dreams. Magrets or Mulcahhys was best.

Canned Laughter

Post 6

the bloodstained wedding dress. hawkeye's dream always disturbs me, all those manniquin limbs floating around and he's armless so he can't help*shudders*.

paramount comedy eh? some friends at work bought me season1 of M*A*S*H on dvd as a leaving gift last week.

xxsmiley - peacedove

Canned Laughter

Post 7

We recorded them and gave them all to my aunt. I mean ALL OF THEM. Non left for us.

Canned Laughter

Post 8

smiley - cuddle

xxsmiley - peacedove

Canned Laughter

Post 9

Well I can watch them on sky every night so thats all right.

Key: Complain about this post