A Conversation for King Arthur Evidence Found

King Arthur

Post 1

kcat94

There is a growing amount of evidence lending credibility to the Arthurian legends. Geoffry Ashe has written some fine books on the subject and several good programs have aired on the Discovery Channel. It appears that the site is much more important than they once thought -- it now looks as if Tintagel may have been a major trading center around the time of Arthur.

King Arthur

Post 2

Bran the Explorer

Hi kcat94

Yes, indeed. The site has more Meditteranean pottery than all other sites in Britain combined. But as for whether this was all occuring in the "time of Arthur", assumes that there was one. Geoffrey Ashe has long argued that there was, but others have of course disagreed, inlcuding Leslie Alcock who was once on his side. For my money, the best article that I can find on the topic is:

Oliver Padel, "The nature of Arthur", Cambrian Medieval Celtic Studies, 27 (1994), pp. 1-31.

This piece goes beyond many shlock popular books, that often really don't show a decent understanding of the historical sources that they are talking about.

Thanks for reading my modest offering.

Cheers
Bran.

King Arthur

Post 3

Walter of Colne

Gooday Bran old cobber,

You are far too modest - 'modest offering' indeed! Did I not read just yesterday that you are running a course entitled 'King Arthur's Britain'? And another on Vikings? And yet another 'History for a Month' at the University of Tasmania? Folks, Bran is one of THE foremost experts on early medieval history.

In admiration,

Walter.

King Arthur

Post 4

Bran the Explorer

Walter My Dear Fellow

If you keep this up I am going to have to start paying you a commission ... and I am absolutely positive that I wouldn't be able to afford you!

Solidarity Comrade
Bran.

King Arthur

Post 5

PedroRoberto

I haven't read Oliver Padel, but I have read a poem of Arthur's (Uthr) from the "Llyfr Goch Hergest".

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more