This is the Message Centre for Rod

Long time Rod

Post 1

frenchbean

Hey smiley - smiley

I'm glad you're still here. I'm catching up after another long absence. But sad to read about Mrs Stress. I've been in your situation, although it was too late for chemo in my smiley - pirate's case. I shan't be any more sympathetic than that, cos I know that sympathy is one of the very last things you'll want to cope with.

I hope you're coping. I hope you have all the support you need. Hang on in there.

Fb

Long time Rod

Post 2

Rod

Hi frenchbean,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Currently, as a treat for Ms Stress, we`re aboard MV `Rhapsody of the Seas`, for a fortnight, on the way to Fiji at the moment - second full day of cruising out of Sydney. Tell you what though, next time its gonna be flying there a day early raher than getting up at 02:30!

This style of cruising isn`t my style. Bored silly. Plenty to do aboard - if you`re that way inclined ... I was going to take the opportunity to give up smoking but...

Anyway, it`ll be nearly two weeks before I`m back at the keyboard at home - doing it this way is awkward (and 75c / minute, how`s that for tightwad?)

Ill maybe log in every few days. In the meantime you`ll all just have to stumble along withiut me

Rod

Rod

Long time Rod

Post 3

Rod

. . . And home again, trying to work-up the will to do some writing about it but not much success so far, after three days...

Long time Rod

Post 4

frenchbean

Don't push it. I'm sure words will come in their own good time.

Hope the trip was enjoyed by Ms Stress. Good for you.

Fb

Long time Rod

Post 5

Rod

. . . and four weeks later - nothing.

I suspect it won't happen now it's old experience

Long time Rod

Post 6

frenchbean

Yup, I remember that. Time passes in new ways when you're in your situation.

How are things?

Fbsmiley - star

Long time Rod

Post 7

Rod

Me? I'm OK allowing for the effects of time - neck down better than acceptable, neck up not so good…

Ms Stress is poorly. The original prognosis was "Three years if you're lucky". Nearly a year in, it doesn't feel like that, though she brightens up quite a bit during the day … I'm putting it down to grit & determination.

How are you & yours?

Rod

Long time Rod

Post 8

frenchbean

Yeah - all good hereabouts. Having a week off work, which is very welcome.

Happy that the rain has stopped. There are masses of jobs to be done outside, including getting the motor-mower out onto the lawn which looks more like a meadow just at the moment.

You know I'm in Oxford now? Moved here 2 years ago and happy to be out of Rangoon, which was getting way too big for comfort. It's a lovely community here and I have a place on the edge of town, so have the best of both worlds: peace/quiet and just a 10 minute walk to the shops.

To be honest I think the prognoses are usually optimistic: we had "A year if you're lucky" and smiley - pirate didn't see six months. Still, we did learn to savour every moment of every day, which was a real gift in hindsight. Our time was strangely enhanced by the cancer. That may sound really odd, but I guess I've moved on far enough to be able to view those five months with gratitude and a smile in my heart.

Look after the neck up..

Fb

Long time Rod

Post 9

Rod

I don't think I knew that you're in Oxford now - and am glad you seem to be enjoying it .

Thank you for your " … if you're lucky" comments. That has given me a cheerup and, no it doesn't sound odd at all, it's pretty much what we're trying to do.

Someone once said something about The World's Ills compared to one's own - must look it up…

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Rod

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more