This is the Message Centre for Rod

The Trip of a Lifetime? - Yeah, Right

Post 1

Rod

Self-inflicted? Yes, if you insist - but ever so sad.

Neighbours have saved up for years for a trip to their roots in UK and a look around Europe.
- Talk to the insurance people eh?
- OK, telephoning done.

"Did you tell them everything?" - "Yes, did you?" "Yes. What did they say?" "OK - you?" "OK"
"Right then, let's make the payment before something else happens that requires Money"
"Right. - - - Done." [about $30k worth (15klbs)]

A few days later, Insurance calls - "Mr L can't be insured"
What he'd forgotten to tell them on the 'phone was that he'd had two strokes.

They're getting some back from the airline but so far it's looking as though they've lost by far the greater part of their money.

Post 2

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I am curious, why did they need insurance to travel?

Is it an NZ or UK requirement or just for their own peace of mind?

I am planning a trip to the UK myself and have not found any such requirement.

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 3

Rod

You've "not found any such requirement"
Fair enough but, I'm reading that with the emphasis on 'requirement' which is defined in my desktop dictionary as 'a thing that is needed or wanted' (I must be old - it used to be without the 'or wanted': i.e. a thing that is compulsory; a necessary condition).

Anyway, yes, it's for peace of mind.
I take it that you have health insurance? If so, does it include alien countries?
If not, just imagine yourself having an accidental something more than a minor bump or scrape. You might be OK in the UK (but, actually, would you be OK?). What about any other countries you may want to visit?

There are reciprocal agreements, UK / NZ, Aus etc but I suspect they're not fully comprehensive...

As I recall, the time I spent ('consulting' rather than actually 'working' !) in USA, there was a reciprocal agreement between the companies and the countries (for government projects).
On other, social, visits I was advised 'strongly' to get insurance - but that was then ('70s)

Back to their problem: A serious accident could cost them a part of (or more than) their house...

... You may want to check?

Post 4

Thank you for your response, Yes I do have US Insurance, I was just curious about if I had to dig out my card.

I can well understand the concern for someone in ill health, although the certain loss of several thousand against a possible loss of even more is a personal decision.

I think I may gamble on making 10 days smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 5

Rod

Your decision, FS

- - - -

Have you made an itinerary - places you want to go to?
I'd be interested to see the list...
(not that I'd be much help ... long time ago & not very much in London)

Will you be writing notes for smiley - thepost ?

- - - - - - - -

Whatever - ENJOY!

Rod

Post 6

Rod

sorry - of course that should be nodnoL

Post 7

Basic Itinerary is here A87755755 Along with the Meet I must see the Tower and will try for the early service at Westminster Abby followed by a stroll thought the parks and a glimpse of the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. In Portsmouth the Historic Naval Dockyard is my primary goal.

I suspect a bit for smiley - thepost in almost unavoidablesmiley - blush

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 8

Rod

Interesting - you should enjoy that little lot

Portsmouth Dockyard used to be very interesting - probably even better nowadays.

I'm looking forward to your contributions....

Rod

Post 9

According to the site 'Victory' has her masts struck for maintenancesmiley - sadface but the 'Mary Rose' is in a shed with viewing widows while she is being preserved. I expect an interesting adventure and several of the Researchers have offered to help show me aroundsmiley - biggrin almost 3 weeks before I depart, and we all know how quickly they go!

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 10

Rod

Sorry for the delay, FS ... busybusy.
I've just had a quick look and things have progressed mightily since I was last there.
No doubt you've been researching but just in case, here are a couple of interesting sites:

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/maryrose/
...and
http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/tickets/
25% off for the joblot online ticket purchases - GBP21/US$34 looks pretty good from here, (acknowledging that UK living is not as expensive as NZ).

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Rod

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more