This is the Message Centre for Wand'rin star

Bleepin' doctors' receptionist

Post 1

Wand'rin star

I am stuck in the house at present waiting for a phone call (yes I know, but it's the only time in 6 years that I've actually NEEDED a mobile). So I phoned surgery to ask what time they close so that I could drop off a prescription; they don't work weekends and I can't get down there on Monday. "Oh," said the good lady when she found out what I wanted, "I'll take that down over the phone if you like." And she did. I asked for the number of blood test strips to be doubled so that they would last me over my holiday. "We've already done that as we know you use at least four a day." smiley - smileysmiley - starsmiley - star

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I never found one so helpful as that at my old surgery so I voted with my feet and moved (to the new surgery on Taylor's Ave, the site of the old pub the Lynton) and even the chemist is a vast improvement.

smiley - hug

Post 3

Wand'rin star

In a small village (even if it is technically a town) you can't move. I used to see a lovely lady in Brigg but the NHS unilaterally moved me. Choice of doctor if necessary and choice of nurse but they all work in the same building.smiley - starsmiley - star

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I r remained with my childhood GP as long as I could... eventually they somhow noticed I didn't live tin the same town anymore, and I had to register with one near where I live now... Pity, he was one of the best doctors I ever knew, and knew, in his head, my medical history from before I was born... smiley - doh had a few fabulus chats with him, about my MSc research which was medical, and I was always supprised, just how totally up to date he was... mind, he's probably long ago retired now... One of my new GPs in CAmbridge, comes from the tiny village, or hamlet? of Beccles, where my Grandmothers side of the family are from... which is a weird coincidence... but each time I go now, I seem to see a differnt doctor... - useually involves having to explain a load of history time and time again on each visit smiley - groan Receptionsts are helpful though, as are docs really, I've been given a dispensation so I can advance book an apointment, as they normally only like people to book on the day (this must be some meeting government target thing?) and, the last time I ran out of drugs... I just turned up, the redceptionist went and got the doctor to sign something, and then the pharmacy next door issued it straight away, even though I'd forgoten to put in for the repeat script etc smiley - blushsmiley - doh

Post 5

Wand'rin star

When I was a child I went to a one-man practice where the receptionist was his wife (part-time and she didn't always feel like doing it) A consultation always started "Now let me see, which one are you?" and a conversation about the health of my mother and grandmother among others. The next question was usually "Have you put a poultice on it?" He was a great believer in Kaolin, also combined with morph, to heal stomach ailments.
He drank Geneva and milk when my father offered it and once, to my mother's eternal shame, did the washing up that had been left in the sink when she had mumps. "Worst case I've ever seen".smiley - starsmiley - star

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Wand'rin star

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more