A Conversation for Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

XXX movement (or similar)

Post 1

Ndvv

Has anybody heard of this XXX movement (or something like this)?
I read an article about them, and I believe they were also based in Salt Lake City. They're an extremist youth movement against sex, alcohol and drugs, and they are known for beating up students because they smoke!
If anybody has more information on this subject, please let me know!

Ndvv

Post 2

ajay

its just one X and it stands for "straight edge"... they're groups of hardcore punks that abstain from everything except horrible music and excessive violence apparently, and they're really tolerant of individuality, as long as you look think act and do exactly what they do

peace,
ajay

Post 3

jimmweasel

The Straight Edge movement started in New York in the 1980's, but the scene began to flourish in Salt Lake City.

Although there were hundreds of Straight Edgers in SLC during the late 1990's, the movement has died down in the past few years.

Regarding the accusations of violence by Straight Edge in SLC, in reality, there were 10-15 people who were real jerks, beat alot of people up, and tarished the reputation of the entire SLC Straight Edge community, consisting of hundreds of people who were not the least bit inclined to violence.

Oddly enough, though adherents of Utah's predominate religion, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, abstain from alcohol and tobacco, most of the people who were Straight Edge were not members of the LDS faith.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more