A Conversation for The Goon Show

Another catchphrase

Post 1

Cheerful Dragon

There is one Goon Show phrase that Richard (my husband) and I use whenever one of us suggests something impossible or ridiculous: "I'd like to see them do this on television." This comes from an episode (can't remember which) where Milligan says to Secombe (or vice versa): "You stand on my shoulders and pull me up, then I'll stand on your shoulders and pull you up ...". (They are trying to get out of a dungeon, prison or deep hole.)

Another catchphrase

Post 2

Fatlock

'Don't do that, Eccles!'

Another catchphrase

Post 3

Rich Loony

"Hern!" (American characters)
"Hello Jim!" ("Singing" Jim Spriggs)
and of course... "Shut up Eccles" (everyone)

Another catchphrase

Post 4

Pea

"Hello little Min"

Another catchphrase

Post 5

Rich Loony

"Great Lolloping Nurglers!" (sometimes heard from Bloodnock instead of swearing)

Another catchphrase

Post 6

James Casey

And what about Thynne's

You silly, twisted boy, you.

Another catchphrase

Post 7

Rich Loony

And that funny noise that Moriaty makes, sort of "look-a-la-goom" or something like that.
Has anypone mentioned "Hello Jim" yet?

Another catchphrase

Post 8

McSquizzy

And don't forget Henry Crun's "Y'can't get the wood y'know!" plus a few of Bloodnok's' such as: "Oooh! - It must be HELL in there!" - "What must the neighbours think !!" and "Nurse, quick - the screens - it's happened again!!". I think they were all caused by the curried gunpowder of which he was fond!!

Another catchphrase

Post 9

The Traveller

"I've got it written down on a piece of paper here. Oh, yes..."

Another catchphrase

Post 10

Gonzo the Eggman

Hello folks! Hello folks! I speaking to you via my new roast beef speaking trumpet!
Perhaps I can help you out there. There is a part in "The Histories of Pliny the Elder" where Seagoon, Eccles and Bluebottle tyring to reach a manhole cover...

Seagoon: Right! Eccles, stand on my shoulders and pull me up!
(Straining noises)
Eccles: I'd like to see them do this on television.

There is also a similar scene in "The Affair of the Lone Banana". Again, Neddie and Eccles are trapped in a prison. Neddie asks whether there is any way out, in which Eccles says "Well, you could try that window up there".
What follows is a frantic scene where Neddie and Eccles are stacking the furniture on top of each other in an attempt to reach the window. In the meantime, Aldofus Spriggs entertains us with a song. Back in the prison, Neddie and Eccles are almost finished. Then suddenly there is an almighty crash as everything collapses. Adolfus Spriggs starts singing again!

Another catchphrase

Post 11

Gonzo the Eggman

"Is your name Charlie?" - Gryte-pipe Thyne
"Sosinges!" - Bluebottle
"Ooooh, mate!" - Wllium "Mate" Cobblers

I'm surprised no one's mentioned "This is the BBC..." (or have they?!)

Another catchphrase

Post 12

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Have we all forgotten the one where Secombe produces a large raspberry, and Bloodnok says 'No more curried eggs for me!!'

Another catchphrase

Post 13

philbo baggins

...and have I missed Bluebottle's

"You dirty rotten swine, you"

often followed (or even preceeded) by

"You have deaded me"

smiley - winkeye

Phil

Another catchphrase

Post 14

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Henry Crun - we're doing nearly five miles an hour, Min!
also - The wick in the engine has gone out!

Another catchphrase

Post 15

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

It's insane, Hennery! Man cannot live at such speeds!

Another catchphrase

Post 16

Gonzo the Eggman

Hi diddle dee, needle nardle noo, spling splang splong, ying tong iddle i po, and remember - you gotta go owww!

- This is actually a genuine Harry Secombe line.

Another catchphrase

Post 17

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

- Object off the port beam!
- Here, what is that object off the port beam?
- It looks like the Albert Hall!
- What's the Albert Hall doing in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean?
- More to the point, what are we doing in Hyde Park? You idiot, Eccles, we're four thousan miles off course!
- Nobody's perfect.

(and this is where the story really starts..)

Another catchphrase

Post 18

dasilva

(Again from Eccles, on lookout) "Mine ahead! Dirty great mine ahead! Oh...it's alright, it's one of our...*KABLOOM*"

Another catchphrase

Post 19

Seagoon: You'll never get it, I tell you! It's guarded!
Thynne: Guarded, eh? Bring weapons and ammunition.
Seagoon: Yes, it's guarded by the fearless Major Bloodnok!
Thynne: Bloodnok, eh? Bring money.....

Another catchphrase

Post 20

dasilva

(From 1985) Bluebottle: Enter torturer Bluebottle, with Junior Cardboard Cut Out Torture Kit

Key: Complain about this post