A Conversation for The GuideML Clinic

LINK BIO and Preview mode

Post 1

IctoanAWEWawi

Just noted when updating A722053 that the LINK BIO tag displays just the Unumber in preview mode, not the researcher's name. Not really used it before so not sure if this is normal functioning? Not a big worry or owt just seemed a bit odd. Works fine once the entry is updated.

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

That's because researchers sometimes change their name, so if no name is added, it will automatically show the current name. There's jack O'Lantern whose name doesn't show up because the account is too old. You could consider putting Jack O'Lantern in that case.

One of the lists needs the tags (
Those who win a Wilde Award shall also receive

the right to use the phrase "Wilde Award Winner" or "AWE - WAWi" in his or her title

A listing on the Wilde Roll of Honour, with a link to the winning phrase

Future plans include a picture for the Researcher's homepage.

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

It has always been like that, I speak from experience of updating birthday and time zone entries smiley - rolleyes

Post 4

IctoanAWEWawi

Hi Bel - thanks. It wasn't the why - it was that preview is *supposed* to show you what your coded page will look like - except with link bio it doesn't. You don't get to see the names until you publish.

Thanks Titania, good to know others annoyed by it too smiley - smiley

Post 5

Bruce

From memory, it was implmented that way to keep the load on the database down.

Back then the servers were pedal powered.

;^)#

Post 6

IctoanAWEWawi

Ah, I see.

Eeep, blimey, another 5-digiter, welcome back smiley - smiley

Post 7

Bruce

Thanks - it's nice to visit the old place. It's been a while.

The new guys seem to be looking after it smiley - smiley

;^)#

Post 8

Pastey

"The new guys seem to be looking after it" ? Hah! You don't know the half and it, and who're you calling "new" ? smiley - tongueout

Good to see you got over okay Bruce!

smiley - rose

Post 9

Bruce

Well I didn't want to go all "the new owners" (it sounds too official) so "new guys" you are.

Anyway, 45177 is newer than 25551 smiley - winkeye

;^)#
Grouchy old curmudgeon

Post 10

Pastey

smiley - tongueout

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

>>it was that preview is *supposed* to show you what your coded page will look like - except with link bio it doesn't. <<

It doesn't show you anything in reference tags in preview, either.

Names in credit tags are only shown in Edited Guide Entries. I haven't a clue why. I don't think it's to do with pressure on the servers. smiley - smiley

Post 12

Titania (gone for lunch)

Oh my gosh, a Bruce sighting!smiley - boing

Post 13

Bruce

I never had much to do with the credit tags - but IIRC they were originally an in-house only thing that filtered down to the SubEds. I think it was intended to be an "added benefit" to participating in Approved entries.

On the subject of the old slow servers, I found an old email where I was telling h2g2 that the site was dead slow (several minutes to load pages). The reply came back, along the lines of, "There's over 90 registered users on-line at the moment! We're getting hammered, of course the site's slow!"

;^)#

Post 14

Bruce

smiley - hug Hiya smiley - smiley

;^)#

Post 15

Pastey

We've got more than 90 online at a time now smiley - smiley

smiley - rose

Key: Complain about this post