This is the Message Centre for Baron Grim

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 1

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

from your P/S

Bing tiddly wibble twoh. Bibbly fingle turwilitzer frondle. Buhkeye sarny trezipter niglits dur wonny sopping froh. Sahn warblits conparnle dahlly, pin wintle sibbling farlits. Wuzizits fingle doh simble sarn thoo bibble nit fon pomble sarnits. Figgy pibble wot sahn parble ee ploble farnitz, zimpell farny wonits. Pibbly wintle fondle fit sarnbel tiddly warnits, stinfinkle foobly weepole polly beeweefibly ponny poddles! See if I Don't!

---------

from minesmiley - biggrin

A great man once said:- wing long yammbo phutt grouble yonk narg narg fishle sog yik yik slurge gedge. He was drunk at the time...

were they in the same tavern ?

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 2

Baron Grim

Hah! Could be, could be... smiley - cheers

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 3

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

I couldn't think of any other way for an ice breaker as suchsmiley - laughBaron

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 4

a personal question ? if I may ? are you still employed at the space centre ?

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 5

smiley - winkeyetime for kipsmiley - biggrin

be safe, be well oksmiley - smiley

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 6

Baron Grim

Yep... still at JSC. The current contract is up for rebid right now, but since I'm currently working on one project (Shuttle 5 inch film shot with a Linhof camera. I own a Linhof view camera and I'd love to find some images somewhere of what this camera looked like. It shot 4x5 frames on 100' rolls of film.) and I have another project lined up after that with the folks at ASU who funded my previous project (5 inch Apollo film), so I'm fairly confident I'll be here for a couple of years at least.

Damn, that was a long, complicated sentence. Feel free to go back and read it again; it should make sense.

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 7

so are you like a film recorder of the various projects that go off there ?

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 8

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=linhof+view+camera&biw=1536&bih=754&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q7AlqFQoTCISg8_6v88YCFWQj2wodfgsMfA

is it like these ? must be worth a few bob (2cents>

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 9

Baron Grim

Yeah. I do roll film scanning from the original flight film.

This is my camera.

http://www.lightmountainphotography.com/tech%20pages/camera%20page%20tech.htm

It's only worth a few hundred dollars anymore. I'd like to get a good digital back for it, but they're outrageously expensive.

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 10

tight fisted JSC, making you pay for your own cameras etc, that ain't fairsmiley - sadface
have they given you "space" for a studio ? plus! do you have a team or are you solo ?

hope you don't mind me being noseysmiley - smiley

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 11

Baron Grim

Sorry if I confused you. That's my personal camera. I just scan / digitize film for NASA. I use a very expensive scanner, a >$300,000 Leica. Here's a page describing my last project and it has a partial picture of the scanner I use.

http://apollo.sese.asu.edu/ABOUT_SCANS/index.html

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 12

Deek

Fascinating stuff!

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 13

great stuffsmiley - smileythis isn't a job you've gotsmiley - biggrinit's a paid hobbysmiley - cool
as long as you get some recognition for your work smiley - smiley

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 14

Baron Grim

To be quite honest, it's a rather monotonous job. I really don't look at the images very closely, and even when I do, after a few tens of thousands of Earth Observation (Earth Obs) images, they tend to blur and get quite dull. Unless I recognize some landmark shape, like the ever popular view of Northern Africa and the Middle East, it all rather becomes generic. Snow, desert, forest, ocean, clouds, clouds, and more clouds. Mostly I'm just paying attention to the frame edges, to make sure I'm not cutting off some of the image; making sure the frame number on the image matches the file name I assign to it; watching for large dust and hairs; and checking focus (but that isn't even an issue with this scanner).

I take pride in my work, but if I wasn't able to intermittently distract myself with stuff like h2g2, the mind numbing boredom would have chased me into quiting and finding a better job long ago. It's not challenging at all.

But I'll do it while I can. If I don't do it, they might replace me with someone who won't take the care I do. I'd hate to see these images half-assed. But the way the budgets have been going, I can't help but suspect it's only a matter of time until my projects get dropped or they hire some kid right out of college or use interns to replace me.

Is the Baron at home ?

Post 15

I understandsmiley - smileyespecially the word "monotonous" smiley - biggrin for years I've had an empty wallet, so life's been monotonous in the things I could do/go etcsmiley - laugh

the drawback of agesmiley - sadfacedon't look at the skills, look for someone cheaper

Key: Complain about this post

Is the Baron at home ?

More Conversations for Baron Grim

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more