A Conversation for Bails, Ducks and Yorkers - A Beginner's Guide to Cricketing Terminology

Missing Terms

Post 1

The Tea Totaller

A very nice, and much needed, entry.

I have heard of one particularly poor batsman referred to a "ferret" - one who goes in after the rabbit.

Missing Terms

Post 2

AliBaba

Thank you - and well spotted! I'd meant to include 'ferret' but it must have slipped off the To Do list... smiley - doh
It's my first entry so I'm not quite sure how one makes additions to edited entries but I'll find out. I also need to amend the bit about the Ashes, given England's recent triumph! smiley - biggrin

Missing Terms

Post 3

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

To have an entry changed, make a post in <./>feedback-editorial</.>.

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Missing Terms

Post 4

Yvonne aka india

Good entry. This, and the video, explains lots of the terms in a clear manner. The language of Cricket is debunked. Cheers smiley - smiley

Quick query - a "grass-cutter". Colleague of mine used this for a ball that stayed really low to the ground so the batsman has a job getting under it. Is it a valid term, or just his own made-up language?

Missing Terms

Post 5

AliBaba

Glad you enjoyed it - thanks smiley - smiley

I thought grass-cutter was a golfing term! I'll check with my expert adviser (I'm not a cricketer myself - the reason I know all this is because I'm married to one!)

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Bails, Ducks and Yorkers - A Beginner's Guide to Cricketing Terminology

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more