A Conversation for Amy P's NaJoPoMo 2015

Amy P's NaJoPoMo November 5, 2015

Post 1

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Day 18 of incubation! Called "lockdown" by many backyard chicken keepers (some oldtimers and longtime breeders/showers scorn those that refer to day 18 as lockdown), it is the time that it's important to not open the incubator more than absolutely necessary, and to raise humidity. In the next 3 days, the chick inside the egg needs to internally pip, or break the membrane into the aircell; externally pip, or break a small hole through the shell; zip, or turn and extend the original hole around the egg in the upper third (not the long way); and push out of the shell--normally resting between each stage. It can take up to 24 hours between external pip and zip, and zipping can take a few hours, as well. There is not always any indication of the internal pip, unless you hear peeping.

Before I locked down tonight, I candled. By what I could see, 2 of my dark eggs either never developed, or quit early, and the 3 light eggs that were questionable on day 14 have not developed further and are definitely dead, leaving me with 6 eggs in the incubator. I have no idea how the eggs under my hen are doing at this point, and I value my skin too much to go look! Not all broodies are fierce, but Frieda is!

It's quite likely that the next few journals will be chicken-relatedsmiley - winkeye

Amy P's NaJoPoMo November 5, 2015

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more