This is the Message Centre for towelshop

violin sound post

Post 1

towelshop

It would appear that mine has come lose smiley - erm which isn't surprising as I've not had it out in 8 years or so.

Now the last time I had to have one fitted was in primary school and my teacher did it

What I want to know is if I invest in a tool, how will I know if I've got it in the right place smiley - erm I've watched several you tube videos and it looks easy enough but I'm still feeling a little dubious about it.

violin sound post

Post 2

bobstafford

What damage could you do if you try to do it yourself

violin sound post

Post 3

towelshop

I'm not sure that's why I'm reluctant to do it , I know the sound of the violin could be out if it's not placed correctly but I'm not sure if this in turn could cause other tonal damaged If that makes sense.

violin sound post

Post 4

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Ask h2g2' to 'Towel Shop open for business'.

violin sound post

Post 5

towelshop

Why have you moved it I'm asking for advice, I thought that's what ask was for?

violin sound post

Post 6

bobstafford

Me to odd the way the machine works some timessmiley - smiley

violin sound post

Post 7

towelshop

The wrong place so the moderators tell me. I'm so confused now. I'm really not doing it on purpose

violin sound post

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Don't worry about posting in the wrong place. Even veteran researchers like me smiley - blush are not used to the current arrangement.

I'm still not sure where the problem lies. Is your violin flat? Sharp? Are you using good-quality strings? My grandfather had a violin, and my uncle inherited it, and he's been taking lessons in his eighties. It's no Stradivarius, but a family heirloom is a family heirloom. Is the bridge warped? Are the screws rusty?

violin sound post

Post 9

towelshop

None of those things Paul. The sound post inside the violin has come lose and is now rattling around inside it. It's quite important as it effects the tone of the instrument.

violin sound post

Post 10

Pastey

My advice, take it to a shop to get it sorted.

You'll be faffing around more than you can imagine. It's not an expensive job, and you'll know it's done right.

violin sound post

Post 11

towelshop

There are no shops in my town I'm afraid that's why I wanted to know how easy it is to fit

violin sound post

Post 12

Pastey

None at all or even nearby?

I know from experience (the wife's, not mine) that there's loads of places that can fit them. Might be worth asking in a local music shop for recommendations? Often there's Little Old Men that repair instruments from their garages/front rooms.

violin sound post

Post 13

towelshop

The little old man who used to do it has passed away.

The nearest place is an hour and a half away. They have quoted £25 as long as there is no other "tonal damage"

I personally think £25 to do something that literally takes a minute is very steep (baring in mind it's only £35 to get your bow rehaired which obviously takes longer) and this other mention of other possible damage is a worry. I'm afraid they'll end up charging me an arm and a leg.

violin sound post

Post 14

Pastey

Restringing the bow doesn't take as long as resetting a sound post.

When you reset it, you then have to check the tonal setup and then adjust the post until it's right. And you have to do that whilst continuously tuning and retuning the violin.

It can take quite a while, and is a serious faff.

That quote's not at all bad, I've seen £50 regularly paid.

violin sound post

Post 15

towelshop

Ah ok then

violin sound post

Post 16

Pastey

We've got 7 violins and 2 violasviolas in the house, you start to pick up on how much maintenance they need smiley - winkeye

violin sound post

Post 17

towelshop

Yes, I have two violins. One is the one I originally learnt to play on, and is now very old and needs restoring but I can't bear to part with it. I can't make the other half understand why I'm so particular about how and where they stored.

violin sound post

Post 18

Rod

>> I can't make the other half understand why I'm so particular about how and where they stored.<<

Move her sewing machine and quilting kit to the garage floor where it might get kicked...

violin sound post

Post 19

towelshop

The her would be me Rod smiley - rofl

violin sound post

Post 20

bobstafford

Oops smiley - smiley QOTD alertsmiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post