A Conversation for Planxty

Peer Review: A87840822 - Planxty

Post 1

Recumbentman

Entry: Planxty - A87840822
Author: Recumbentman - U208656

Here's a thought. I was asked to write the notes for a collection of Irish tunes arranged for ukulele, recently published by Colin Tribe (Schott World Music series, no. ED 13577) and I ventured the solution given in this Entry for the meaning of the word Planxty. What do you think?

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

You don't mention the sláinte theory

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - book

I find this interesting, because one of the first pieces I learned to play on a tin whistle was Planxty Irwin smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 4

Recumbentman

I hadn't heard of the sláinte theory, but it doesn't sound very plausible. The collector Bunting surmised that it might be an equivalent of pléaráca (one of Carolan's songs is Pléaráca na Ruarcach, translated as O'Rourke's Feast) but Donal O'Sullivan pours cold water on that.

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

The theory is that sláinte written in old Irish letters looks like planxty in Roman letters. Not a lot, but a bit. Sean O'Riada certainly thought planxty might be a corruption of sláinte although he didn't say anything about the letters.

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 6

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

A very interesting read about a term I had not been familiar with.
I am sure you would like to add a link to A636888

I find this a bit smiley - erm unsettling;

>>This tradition was of unknown antiquity, but it came to an end with Carolan;
he was one of the last of the itinerant harpers and the last one to compose music.

'it came to an end with' and 'one of the last' seem a bit bit contradictory, was he the absolute last, or only one of the last?

'It came to an end shortly after Carolan's death might be a better wording allowing that other contemporaries might have continued after his death, even if they were not also composers.

>>Carolan was on friendly terms with Dean Swift, whom he met on the few times he ventured into the capital.

Could you give us a footnote about who Dean Sift was?

Might it also be worth while to add a few of the other contrived definitions that can be found on the web, with a note about why they are not probable; ie

>some suggest ultimate derivation from Latin plangere "to strike, beat"

Just a suggestionsmiley - shrug I agree with your conclusion.

I always hate when somebody suggests 'what I wish you had written about'; but I notice we do not have an Entry about Irish Harpers in general. I would like to know why they were usually blind etc. This might be a good companion piece if you are so inclined.

F smiley - dolphin S

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 7

Recumbentman

Thanks Florida Sailor! Yes, A636888 deserves a link!

Jonathan Swift, Dean of St Patrick's Cathedral Dublin from 1713 to 1745, best known as the author of Gulliver's Travels, was a social reformer, exerting his influence through pamphlets, satirical verses and direct action. Gulliver's Travels, far from being a nursery book, is a biting satire on the politics of the time.

St Patrick's was and still is in the (Anglican) Church of Ireland, then the official church of the ruling class, but both Swift and his friend Bishop Berkeley A3472986 were concerned for the rights of the Catholic majority, which they championed in that period of oppressive anti-Catohlicism in Britain.

The phrase 'came to an end' is an 'in-or-around' thing. The harpers were officially harrassed (Queen Elizabeth two centuries earlier had put out an edict 'Hang the harpers wherever found') and by Carolan's time the tradition was waning, the skill and originality inexorably going down.

Gnomon, I wouldn't hang a lot of credence on Seán Ó Riada's opinion. The old long S in Irish looks like a pi or a P (sort of, though less than the long R does) but the x and y in Planxty are harder to project on the word sláinte. To my mind the verse by Carolan settles its position as a n'once-word in English.

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 8

Recumbentman

I've done all (I think) of the things requested by FS, except online links to other theories of the meaning of 'planxty'. I don't think they are that urgent, being (to me) unconvincing.

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 9

Recumbentman

Though plangere > 'strike, beat' is relevant all right. I'll work that in later.

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

It's probably worth mentioning that the harps had metal strings and quite a different sound to a modern harp.

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

no-one wanted to have a bad reputation with a harper

-- I take that harpers could write songs pouring scorn on people they didn't like. Are there any examples of such songs?

Typo alert: Catherdal

Irish harpers, apart from the disinterest in visual representation of the blind, were generally unenthusiastic about their tunes being notated.

-- I don't understand this sentence. Do you mean that blind people have no interest in writing things down?

smiley - oksmiley - booksmiley - galaxy

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 12

Recumbentman

That's a good question. I must look into it.

Thanks.

In pre-braille days their disinterest would have been probable ... I really mean to say that they weren't interested in amateurs playing their tunes. I'll rephrase it. The same goes for pipers; the only 16th Century harp and pipe notations from Scotland were done by lutenists, I think.

A87840822 - Planxty

Post 13

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

This was a really good read. smiley - biggrin Thanks, I enjoyed learning more about Carolan.

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 15

Recumbentman

Yee har

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - bubbly

Post 17

bobstafford

smiley - cheerssmiley - magic

Post 18

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - bubbly

Post 19

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - applause

Post 20

bobstafford

smiley - bubbly

Key: Complain about this post