A Conversation for London Mini-Meet, September 27th 2014

A London Mini-Meet, September 2014.

Post 21

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Natural History Museum details here:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/after-hours/science-uncovered/index.html

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 22

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

19:00 sounds like a good meeting time for the evening, and if the others are brave enough for Penderel's Oak we could set the same time. It will be my first visit so they can't hold a grudge against me - yetsmiley - yikes

I think we are settled on the IWM, perhaps sometime between 13:00 and 14:00? let us know what time works best for you, should we set a meeting spot? I assume I can ask for the h2g2 group at the pubs.

It sound like you will be very busy at the Natural History, will you be at a particular venue? I assume that it is next to the Victoria and Albert?

Friday will be very much up to how long it takes me acclimate to the times. From my experience I should be good in the evenings, not worth much in the mornings.

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 23

FS, I'll be wearing my h2g2 BBC t-shirt to make life easier for all concerned. I don't know the IWM but know there are two humongous guns outside the main entrance so a good place to meet.

I'll be in the NHM all afternoon and early evening so if you want to meet up, just say. Can send a PM if you wish with mobile phone (cellphone) details.

smiley - ok

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 24

I have added my contact details (e Mail) to A87755755 no spaces and add appropriate symbols

I will send back my full contact details, of course my UK mobile will become active when I land, tariff is $1.00 a minute, so we will use it sparingly, but it is available as needed.

If you want to Skype we can set a time certain.

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 25

Bald Bloke

email sent...

Post 26

Bald Bloke

I'll pop up and scout out accessibility at the Penderels Oak sometime next week, I'm out the rest of this week and in Manchester meeting Pastey et al this weekend.

It was young Vibenstien who suggested the Penderels, and I don't know if he is coming down from Oop North, so we don't have to be there if a more suitable location exists for those with access problems.

Maybe we need a roll call just to know how many are about

Friday Night

Saturday Afternoon

Saturday Night

etc.

Post 27

SashaQ - happysad

I'm not about on Friday, definitely planning on attending Saturday Afternoon and probably won't be around on Saturday Night.

Post 28

Bluebottle

I might surprisingly be about on Saturday afternoon and early evening.smiley - yikes

<BB<

Post 29

Bald Bloke

>BB>
Actually makes it to a Nodnol meet smiley - cool

Post 30

Bluebottle

I have been to a few nodnoL meets before – admittedly the last time was in 2001 so I'm a little out of practice, but I was there 'nd it's in smiley - thepost and everythin' smiley - tongueout

<BB<

Post 31

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Doubt I/We'll be there on the Friday... Still tryign to figur eout for sure whether we can get ourselves organised.... and like find a hotel or something for Saturday night etc smiley - zensmiley - ale

Post 32

Friday night is doubtful for me, as I'd already arranged for the NHM thing, but Saturday afternoon and evening are definites.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

smiley - ok

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 33

Bald Bloke

As promised I have carried out a scouting visit to the Penderels oak.
The upstairs bar is accessible and has a disabled toilets.
Cellar bar is not accessible and that is where the main toilets are.
Not that this matters as only FS and myself appear to be about on Friday night.

Post 34

Pink Paisley

For a while, it looked as though Barcelona may happen, (I really need to get some inspiration for my garden), but I have sorted Mrs PP out and I shall be there on Saturday evening.

PP.

Post 35

As most of you know, I am planning a great adventure. I have several points planned;
Friday probably the hop on hop off tour followed by a brief nap and Pendrel's Oak for the evening.
Saturday the IWM at noon and Shakespeare's head for the meet.
Sunday Service at Westminster Abby and a walk through the park including the Changing of the Guard, hopefully with Sol and her family.
Monday will be centered on the Tower and maybe a trip to the South Bank
Tuesday will include my trip to Pompey
Wednesday will be the Historic Dockyard, Victory, Mary Rose and Warrior.
Thursday may still be open
Friday travel to Stanwell (just South of Heathrow)
Noon Sat depart for the US.

My question is what would the other researchers recommend for Thursday?
Looking at options;
I could take a day trip to Paris would the language barrier be a problem?
The Channel Islands are also a possibility.
I could even spend a few hours on the Island of Wight.
Or would anyone care to recommend a small town or village?
I may not get to go over again - What place would you put on your 'Must See' list?

smiley - cheers
F smiley - dolphin S

Post 36

Pink Paisley

A day trip to Paris from London is perfectly do-able - and pretty much everyone you have to deal with over there will speak good enough English for you to get by. A very short period of study, will get you far enough to manage thank you, good morning and goodbye in French. However, I would suggest that if you are considering Europe, don't discount Brussels. More compact and manageable and has the Rene Magritte museum (but that is a very personal choice).

However, I would suggest a trip to Bath a beautiful city - a nice easy train ride and definitely no language problems (except that some of the locals talk like pirates - oh arrr!). And if it can be worked in, a visit following your President's footsteps to Stonehenge, although this can't really be done by train. Bath has a cathedral, Sally Lunn's, Roman Baths. You must take the waters. It's disgusting, you have been warned, but there is no mileage in telling people you have been to Bath and DIDN'T try the water. And a trip to Sally Lunn's after takes away all the pain and suffering. (http://www.sallylunns.co.uk/). Clotted cream teas available. Have two. Have three. (Who was it I was trying to explain clotted cream to?)

Failing Bath, perhaps Cambridge or St Albans, both being shortish train rises from London and being steeped in history. St Albans has a lovely cathedral and Ye Olde Fighting Cocks nearby, a pub where Oliver Cromwell is said to have kept his horses overnight and according to the Guinness Book of Records is the oldest pub in the country. Cambridge has punts and St Mary's where you can have a real good look at the insides of the church.

If it were me, I would go for Bath. One and a half hours by train from Paddington.

See you Saturday week.

PP.

Post 37

bobstafford

Depends on your interest if you are in the Portsmouth area take a trip to the Isle of Wight.

A chance to travel to the IOW by hovercraft.
A visit to Carisbrook Castle.

Just to name, two experiences Ask Blue Bottle if you decide to visit, Bath is lovely but its more travelling time for a short stay.

Have a great time

smiley - cheers

Post 38

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

smiley - flustered Bald Bloke, you were at the last meet in the Penderel's Oak back in... smiley - erm 2004, I think? You know I was joking about meeting there, right? smiley - biggrin

Post 39

Bald Bloke

EV you should know we take every word from yerself and 2legs as gospel (since you two are the prophets of nighthoover.)

smiley - biggrin

Post 40

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

smiley - zen

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more