A Conversation for Battlestar Galactica - the re-imagined TV series

Peer Review: A87822642 - Battlestar Galactica - the re-imagined TV series

Post 1

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Entry: Battlestar Galactica - the re-imagined TV series - A87822642
Author: Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor - U1314679

This is my late submission for February's Create. It took a while to write this.

I really loved BSG, we bought the DVD box at Christmas and watched it all in about a week.
I've never watched the original series, which may be the reason why my perception was quite different from Bluebottle's in his Entry about the Miniseries.

I'm not sure if I'm really content with this Entry already so I think I could really use some comments.

A87822642 - Battlestar Galactica - the re-imagined TV series

Post 2

Oops, apparently I did not post fast enough - h2g2 ate my post. What I think I said was:

This reads well, Tavaron. It provides a good overview of the show without giving spoilers.

And as far as the 70s BSG, it was sort of fun but awful, a guilty pleasure, like a western in space. Then the show went to Earth, where it was just awful, with no pleasure, so I stopped watching. You aren't missing a thing.

Post 3

Bluebottle

Nothing wrong with having a different perception – looking back at what I'd written before (which was written before I'd seen series 1, let along the full series) I can honestly say that my opinion has changed slightly.

Any way, here are a few of my thoughts for you to consider (if you want to):

'Award winning' – I've no doubt it is award winning (and I know it is), but can you mention any of the awards has it won?

I'm not going to worry about most minor grammatical blips, however the sentence 'As workers and military force the Colonies created the Cylons, a cybernetic race of sentient machines.'; could be read to imply that the Colonies are workers and a military force, so that could have a minor tweak to be 'The Colonies created the Cylons, a cybernetic race of sentient machines, to be workers and a military force.'

Would you consider adding the actors and actresses who played the characters names in brackets after mentioning the characters? Such as William Adama (Edward James Olmos) and Number Six (Tricia Helfer)

I also thought that the Raptors were Galactica's gun platform / armoured personnel carrying spacecraft, and the Cylon vessels were Raiders.

But other than that, good! You may wish to see what Mr603 thinks, as I believe he considered writing about 'Battlestar Galactica' a couple of years ago (but didn't in the end).

<BB<

Post 4

Thanks HN! smiley - laugh

Also thanks BB
I'll later add something about awards and will alter that sentence about the Cylons.

I thought about adding actor names but am still not sure. If I add names to one I have to add them to all although some of the Cylons I mention I think are not as important as other people who are not on the list, but I had to mention them for a complete list... smiley - huh

I mentioned the Raiders in the section about Cylons. I think they are the same as the Vipers. There don't seem to be many Raptors and they are meant rather for transport and scouting than fighting.

I hope 603 will find this!smiley - smiley

Post 5

Bluebottle

The bit in the section about Cylons currently reads 'Another semi-organic form of Cylons are the Raptors, which fulfill the same functions as Colonial Vipers', just one of those minor typos everyone makes now and then (Raptors and Raiders both start with Ra and end with rs after all).smiley - winkeye

<BB<

Post 6

Oooooh.. I'll change that, thanks.

Post 7

I made those changes.
... does it look silly to have actors names only on the main cast? Should I add those of the other Cylons?

Post 8

Bluebottle

If it was me, I would include the other Cylon actors' names. For instance, Dean Stockwell, who plays number 1, is a well-known actor famous for roles in films including 'Dune' and 'Blue Velvet', and other science-fiction series such as 'Quantum Leap'. Number 3 is played by Xena herself, Lucy Lawless. She was not Spartacus in the recent television series of the same name.

I think that having famous established names playing comparatively minor roles helps show that the series had kudos.

But feel free not to - it's up to you to decide.

<BB<

Post 9

smiley - ok
Did that. I'm afraid I'm usually rather ignorant when it comes to actors.

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 11

smiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin

Post 12

Bluebottle

smiley - applauseWell done!

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more