A Conversation for The Ultimate Disney Classic Animated Film Guide: 1950-1969

Peer Review: A87818935 - The Ultimate Disney Classic Animated Film Guide: 1950-1969

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: The Ultimate Disney Classic Animated Film Guide: 1950-1969 - A87818935
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

Part 2 of the six-part series looking at the Classic Disney animated films.

<BB<

A87818935 - The Ultimate Disney Classic Animated Film Guide: 1950-1969

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Excellent to see this in Peer Review smiley - biggrin

I was very young when I last saw some of these, so didn't pick up on some of the subtleties you mention, so the Entry is interesting. I have a few questions as I read through.

If you could read through the Sleeping Beauty paragraphs again, there are some verbs needed please.

What does rendered mean?

What was 101 Dalmatians' budget?

There is a name Sebastuab that looks like a finger slip of Sebastian, is that right?

I'm a bit uneasy about your plot summary of Mary Poppins -I think you need to mention that the children had nannies before Mary Poppins, and maybe neglected is too strong a word... Similarly in Lady and the Tramp, maybe abandoned is a bit strong, unless the parents were never seen again in the film...

Travers wanted the animated sequence to be removed -should that be sequences?

smiley - magic

Post 3

Bluebottle

Good points made.smiley - smiley

I've re-written the 'Sleeping Beauty' section, corrected the spelling mistake and added a bit about 'One Hundred and One Dalmatians' budget (although of course, $4 million in 1961 is a lot smaller than $6 million in 1951). I've also added a bit that hopefully explains that rendering is the final process that makes an animated image more realistic (especially 3-dimensional), usually through applying shade etc.

Mowgli's parents are never seen in 'The Jungle Book', so for all intents and purposes he is indeed abandoned.smiley - blue

I'd say that there is only one animated sequence - the children jump into a painting once, and though they are in the painting for a fair while - long enough to sing two songs and win a horse race - it is still only one sequence.

I still think that the children in 'Mary Poppins' are neglected by their parents. If I was a billionaire and hired a million people to look after my children, but never spent any time with them myself, I personally would be neglecting them (even though they are cared for and not neglected). Mary Poppins' aim in the film isn't to take the children on a series of magical adventures, but to re-establish the familial relationships. The method by which she does this incidentally involves magical adventures, but this is a means to the end, the scenic route to the destination.

<BB<

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Bluebottle. I'm familiar with all these movies except Alice, having either seen them myself or by watching them on video with my daughters.

I'll try and give this a thorough going over later. One thing that jumped out at me was this:

she wishes to use the dogs' skins to turn into a Dalmatian fur coat.

This means that she is going to turn herself into a fur coat! Rephrase it as:

she wishes to turn the dogs' skins into a Dalmatian fur coat.

Post 5

Bluebottle

smiley - okGood spot, easily changed.

<BB<

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks <BB< - well updated smiley - ok

The Mary Poppins section in particular reads fine now - I have seen the film more than once, but didn't pick up on the subtleties of the family dynamics so much. My gran was a nanny, and it was just the way things were for her charges, so there was no Mary Poppins magic for the parents, but the children were well cared for.

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 7

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 8

bobstafford

smiley - bubbly well done

Post 9

Bluebottle

smiley - nurThat was quick!

<BB<

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

Well done. I never did get a chance to read through this - sorry!

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

I know I'm too late, but here are a few suggestions you can discuss with the sub-editor.

Lyrics for Alice - you suggest that these are written by Bob Hilliard. Aren't many of them taken from the books and therefore are by Lewis Carroll? For example, The Walrus and the Carpenter, Old Father William, All in a Golden Afternoon, Twas Brillig.

In Lady and the Tramp, you suggest that because Darling and Jim Dear give their child to an Aunt to mind, they have abandoned the baby. I think this is highly insulting and hurtful to anyone who gets someone else to look after their baby.

Edwardian America - can you use the term Edwardian for America? Edwardian refers to the rule of a particular British monarch, and America was not ruled by Britain at that time.

Sleeping Beauty - you say that the music was inspired by Tchaikovsky's ballet. In fact, the music of the film is by Tchaikovsky and arranged by George Bruns.

Typos: Tweedeldum, Caterpiller, ambitions, Gilkinson

Possible Typos: pullet, Merlina

smiley - oksmiley - booksmiley - galaxy

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - boing

Post 13

bobstafford

smiley - magicsmiley - cheerssmiley - bubbly

Post 14

Bluebottle

I'm sure we all agree that we want this article to be as good as it can be before it enters the Edited Guide, so I'm happy to listen to suggestions even after this has left Peer Review. I've flagged that comments have been made on the Trello card too, but until this has been allocated a subeditor, I can change both versions to reflect your suggestions.

I've rewritten the Alice lyrics section, so it says 'adapted by'. Disney have credited him as the writer, even though you are right, the lyrics are based on Lewis Carroll's work.

Lady and the Tramp has been re-written and typos etc corrected too.

<BB<

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

The Editable Copy is A87841696.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Ultimate Disney Classic Animated Film Guide: 1950-1969

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more